Using a Verizon iPhone 5 with ATT (after signing up a for a new contract and Android phone)

Argelius

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I switched from ATT to Verzion a couple of years ago and, after moving into a new house, I'm finding my Verizon service is crap and I'm ready to move back to ATT.

I currently have a (Verizon) iPhone 5.

I am thinking of taking the opportunity to sign up for a new ATT account and trying out an Android phone. (I'm a gadget nut, so enjoy playing with new things).

I understand that my Verizon iPhone is "unlocked" and will work with ATTs cellular bands. I'm a little unclear about the data side of things. Some people/sources say the Verizon phone can't connect with ATT's LTE network, but will work with 4G-HSPA+ (which is slower); elsewhere people say that 4G-HSPA+ is equivalent to LTE.

Anyway - on to my main question. If I sign up with a new ATT plan and get an Android phone, will I be able to switch back and forth (by swapping out SIM cards) between the Android and the old iPhone? (I understand I can only use one phone at a time!)

Thanks!

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I was using a Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T, and I had HSPA+ service, but not LTE. You can certainly switch an AT&T SIM card between phones. I did it all the time. However, if your new Android doesn't use a nano SIM you will need an adapter.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I was using a Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T, and I had HSPA+ service, but not LTE. You can certainly switch an AT&T SIM card between phones. I did it all the time. However, if your new Android doesn't use a nano SIM you will need an adapter.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What tgp says. You can get a sim tray to fit all phones for less than $5 on amazon though if you do not want a new sim card. Then you will be all set!

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
This is correct... the New IPHONE 5 S and C in the united states, support both VERIZON, ATT & TMOBILE in a single device....... the IPHONE 5S and C in the united states is supposed to support CDMA, HSPA+ and LTE for Verizon, tmobile and ATT in a single device.....However, VERIZON made it very clear, that it DID NOT want its IPHONE 5S to be able to use ATT's LTE NETWORK!!! IF you got an IPHONE from TMOBILE or ATT... You could use Voice, and 4G LTE Data with that phone on either ATT, TMOBILE or Verizon... However, VERIZON is holding out... and has the ATT LTE Band BLOCKED or Eliminated from its IPHONES..... Hense why you are only getting HSPA+ on your Verizon IPHONE With ATT

bwhardy

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
This is correct... the New IPHONE 5 S and C in the united states, support both VERIZON, ATT & TMOBILE in a single device....... the IPHONE 5S and C in the united states is supposed to support CDMA, HSPA+ and LTE for Verizon, tmobile and ATT in a single device.....However, VERIZON made it very clear, that it DID NOT want its IPHONE 5S to be able to use ATT's LTE NETWORK!!! IF you got an IPHONE from TMOBILE or ATT... You could use Voice, and 4G LTE Data with that phone on either ATT, TMOBILE or Verizon... However, VERIZON is holding out... and has the ATT LTE Band BLOCKED or Eliminated from its IPHONES..... Hense why you are only getting HSPA+ on your Verizon IPHONE With ATT

Wrong. I have a Verizon 5s on ATT and getting LTE.

bwhardy

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

Wrong. I have a Verizon 5s on ATT and getting LTE.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Just wrong lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk