Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By toramorigan
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    raino's Avatar

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,474 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

    Default Free tethering on Aio?

    What's the deal? Are they still allowing you to tether all your high speed data for free? I've been researching AT&T MVNOs, and a few sources dated September say that Aio lets you, despite tethering explicitly not allowed in the ToS.

    If anyone knows of any other AT&T MVNOs that let you tether all (or at least 1GB) of your data for free, please post. Thanks.
    Last edited by raino; 12-04-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    SGH-T999v running stock 4.3
  2. #2  
    Kage_'s Avatar

    Posts
    427 Posts
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts

    Default Re: Free tethering on Aio?

    From what I have found there are no AT&T MVNOs that officially allow tethering. I checked all of them.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    raino's Avatar

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,474 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

    Default Re: Free tethering on Aio?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kage_ View Post
    From what I have found there are no AT&T MVNOs that officially allow tethering. I checked all of them.
    Thanks. What about unofficially, like Aio seemed to be, at least for a while?
    SGH-T999v running stock 4.3
  4. #4  
    Kage_'s Avatar

    Posts
    427 Posts
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts

    Default Re: Free tethering on Aio?

    Unofficially, I have heard of people that are tethering and havn't received nasty grams, but I wouldn't count on that continuing. Remember that AIO is owned by AT&T.
    Thanked by:
    raino 
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Free tethering on Aio?

    Unofficial is easy.. Root and do what you want .

    Other than that Aio may be the only way without rooting.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    raino's Avatar

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,474 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

    Default Re: Free tethering on Aio?

    Thanks. Aio is the way to go. It's only for a month, so I'll risk it.
    SGH-T999v running stock 4.3
  7. #7  
    toramorigan's Avatar

    Posts
    29 Posts
    ROM
    CM 10 Nightly (Evita)

    Default Re: Free tethering on Aio?

    Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    What's the deal? Are they still allowing you to tether all your high speed data for free? I've been researching AT&T MVNOs, and a few sources dated September say that Aio lets you, despite tethering explicitly not allowed in the ToS.

    If anyone knows of any other AT&T MVNOs that let you tether all (or at least 1GB) of your data for free, please post. Thanks.
    I actually work for aio, and have had service with them for a couple of months.

    When I had received a free Nokia Lumia 620, I was surprised to see that the built-in wi-fi hotspot functionality was still activated on the phone.
    It's a huge surprise, considering I don't see the options available on any other of the aio-branded Android phones, and definitely not the iPhone 5S/5C that we sell.

    Like you said, it is explicitly not allowed in the ToS, but I was able to tether off of it for a few days with no repercussions, but I'll tell you like I tell any customer that comes into my store and asks about it:

    If your phone as the ability, use it at your utmost discretion. Also, don't go overboard with it. At the most, use an app that can spoof the network to thinking it's just a regular app accessing the internet.
    Thanked by:
    raino 
    raino likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Free tethering on Aio?

    Just my two cents here, but it really seems that since the user has already paid for the bandwidth, it would then be at said users sole discretion as to how it is used. In the generation of wireless communication, the ToS should maybe be reviewed and then amended taking into account the leaps and bounds in tech today. Time to open that doorway to everyone and continue to move forward. . . Although, this idea employs common sense, so it will most definitely fall thus upon dead ears.

    Posted via Android Central App from my Samsung Galaxy Express i437p
  9. #9  
    Kage_'s Avatar

    Posts
    427 Posts
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts

    Default Re: Free tethering on Aio?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enverdaz View Post
    Just my two cents here, but it really seems that since the user has already paid for the bandwidth, it would then be at said users sole discretion as to how it is used. In the generation of wireless communication, the ToS should maybe be reviewed and then amended taking into account the leaps and bounds in tech today. Time to open that doorway to everyone and continue to move forward. . . Although, this idea employs common sense, so it will most definitely fall thus upon dead ears.
    You would think that, but AIO is using the term unlimited data, "Unlimited Data Up to 4G LTE speeds with compatible device (speeds reduced when you use up your high-speed allowance)". From the court decisions that have come out people with limited data plans can use there data as they choose even tethering and the carriers can't really do much about it hence the reason they have mostly quit messing with people that are tethering and have limited plans. On the flip side "Unlimited" plans don't fall under those rulings. I'd be willing to put money on that is the reason why they put "Unlimited" even though your allotment is high speed and once you use that up they throttle you to edge speeds.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Free tethering on Aio?

    With AT&T's shift in "who pays for use", let's see if these enabled devices finally just get to perform as designed. Putting features onto a device, like my own, as standard on phone software and the accompanying hardware, then say it's not really available, just there to take up critical storage space and drive up the total cost of the device, well, again, just my 2cents, but that's just bad business sense and plain Rude to the consumer.
    Bottom line, flip the switch, make the changes and open up the service you claim to "want to offer", customer satisfaction.
    .... yeah I know, common sense. . . Most uncommon thing there is.......... /sigh
    -steps down off soapbox-

    Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Express i437p on AT&T's 4G LTE Network
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Free tethering on Aio?

    Quote Originally Posted by Enverdaz View Post
    With AT&T's shift in "who pays for use", let's see if these enabled devices finally just get to perform as designed. Putting features onto a device, like my own, as standard on phone software and the accompanying hardware, then say it's not really available, just there to take up critical storage space and drive up the total cost of the device, well, again, just my 2cents, but that's just bad business sense and plain Rude to the consumer.
    Bottom line, flip the switch, make the changes and open up the service you claim to "want to offer", customer satisfaction.
    .... yeah I know, common sense. . . Most uncommon thing there is.......... /sigh
    -steps down off soapbox-

    Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Express i437p on AT&T's 4G LTE Network
    Yeah it is nice in a way for sponsored data but bad as well. It will force you to use the services that are "sponsored" in order to save on data. So that would mean some people may be forced to use iTunes radio versus Pandora or something like that if iTunes was sponsored and Pandora wasn't.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Similar Threads

  1. Tethering on 2G
    By touchthatpad106 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-08-2013, 06:54 PM
  2. How to use text to speech on Galaxy S4
    By girltech in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2013, 04:08 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2013, 09:00 AM
  4. Will the N3 on Verizon not download voicemails?
    By jdesmond74 in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2013, 07:47 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-2013, 09:10 PM

Posting Permissions

B