Chromecast and UNL data

jtcromer

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I just got off the phone after getting a letter telling me that I have to quit tethering. Problem is I don't tether. I told them I don't use cable TV and have hulu and Netflix. After telling them I cast it, the girl told me to stop using Chromecast or lose my UNLIMITED data plan.
What gives?

Posted via Android Central App

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
You have to be connected to wireless to use chromecast. You can't use it over the mobile network so this doesn't even apply to your mobile plan. The rep probably doesn't have a CC and doesn't know this and was assuming you were casting over their network since you brought it up.

jtcromer

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
That's right.
So what is triggering the accusation of tethering?
I use Google products. Music, YouTube, etc.
I also subscriber to Netflix, hulu, etc. But now that you've said that im using my home network, I am just Confused. I hate att. I even have my dsl through them. Morons... Or I'm the moron one.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't have ATT so I don't know the terms of their plans. Some carriers limit streaming services (like the ones you mentioned you use) but if you are certain you are only using them over wireless then it would be something else.

However, now that you say you have them for DSL as well then it may actually be your streaming over their dsl that they have a problem with. I used to have att DSL and they would throttle any streaming. They may have gotten more strict since then and prohibited it for all I know. But I don't know. You'll have to call them again and figure out with them where the problem is. I just noticed your post because I have a chromecast. Can't help with att.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I stream Google Music in my car so I have not a clue. Guess you would have too look at the type of traffic it shows. I only have a 3gig per month plan currently. So they may not care as much with my account I guess. But in any case I have never heard of this with these listed services.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I would fight them on this. If you are not tethering they are just pushing it. Using the chromecast uses the wifi in your house not your hotspot on your phone. If they think your tethering have them tell you what exactly they mean.
Maybe switching to att is not a good idea after all. That would tick me off

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer