Best prepaid sim for US - Visit

MasterElwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I need advice. I am visiting the US in 2 Weeks (LA-area) and need a prepaid sim for my mobile internet needs. Have a int. GS4 - so clearly GSM carrier only. Now it gets tricky:

Tmobile or ATT?

From original carrier or reseller?

If - then which reseller?

Price is not THAT important. Important is as much GB as possible (at least 2), and that i can pick it up 24/7 because i arrive at Saturday night (in a Walmart maybe?)

Also: tethering ability would be very helpful.

Thanx in a.
Alex

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

MasterElwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your quick answer. Straight talk looks good. Question:

What the hell does this mean:
--------------------
7. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync.
--------------------

Does creating a wireless Hotspot on the phone count as tethering?

Is syncing my email or updating apps on a connected tablet still count as wireless synching?

Or is this just lawyer talks and nobody cares....

Posted via Android Central App

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Pop in an at&t prepaid sim card but getting data from them is a pain on prepaid as they usually block it but if your an international customer go to a branded core store (corperate store) and ask if no data to my knowledge t mobile is cheaper your best bet and as ling as you stay in a heavy metro politan area (inner city) youll be 100% fine but if you go to the out skirts t mobile is notoriois for dropping the signal

from my wonderfully rooted gs4 woot

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If you want a local phone number then I'd just go with GoPhone. This way you know the data package you bought and you can use it the way you would like too. Prepaid att MNVO's like ST and what not are very sketchy at times if you use a lot of data.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Dude i was in an at&t store last month and they said no data on prepaid for smart phones ill have to look into it but thats what the lady told me

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Dude i was in an at&t store last month and they said no data on prepaid for smart phones ill have to look into it but thats what the lady told me

She was wrong. I am using a Go Phone SIM in my Nexus 4 and data works just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MasterElwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking of buying a att go sim at a Walmart (because I am arriving late on a Saturday) and then buy a package online.

But I just read that AT&T does not accept international credit cards online.

Is this true?

Also: is tethering allowed on AT&T Go?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
No tethering on GoPhone plans is allowed, but corporate AT&T stores can take international credit cards.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

MasterElwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. What if i am just create a mobile hotspot? Is this tethering? And can they TELL i am doing it? What if i connect via a vpn?