Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By petaf
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Looking to switch AT&T need some opinions.

I'm currently with Verizon on a note 3 and my contract ends at the end of March. I've just been moved at my work and no longer get service where I'm at in the building... no WiFi either. I only have AT&T to choose from because that's the only other provider that works at my mom's house when I visit besides Verizon. I will need to purchase a new phone.

Seems that the cheapest options are to sign a two year contract and get a subsidized phone on the $95 mobile share value plan or buy a new phone and go the gophone route. I get a employer discount and will be adding the old lady when her contract expires in October or a Lil sooner. Was looking to get another note 3 but considering other options. I like the moto x that the old lady uses but wish the screen was a bit bigger and better quality. Looked at the nexus 5 also but have read about poor battery life, sub par camera, and problems switching back and forth between hspa+ and LTE on AT&T.

Will be selling the Verizon note 3 but will be using the money from that for something else. Wanting to hear everyone's opinion on the situation and other options that might be available.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Default Re: Looking to switch AT&T need some opinions.

If you do the next program or bring your own phone, you can get $15 off your bill every month on mobile share value plan plus your employee discount. For me I have 6gb with a moto x on the account. So my plan price is $60 for 6gb $25 for moto x line and then $27 a month on next program.(getting the phone paid off with my taxes so my plan will be $27 lower). Total cost is $107 before taxes. That's with my 25% discount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

After reading a CNN article about the plans it is cheaper to sign the two year agreement for a note 3 than it is to buy a new note 3 outright or the next plan over 2 years factoring in the cost of the device.

2GB plan
    No Contract
    $55+$25=$80*24=$1920+$724.99=
    $2647.99

Contract
    $55+$40=$95*24=$2280+$299.99=
    $2579.99

Next
    $2647.99 18month upgrade
    $2848.87 12month upgrade

GoPhone
    $60*24=$1440+$724.99=$2164.99

Clearly the cheapest route is the GoPhone followed by the 2 year contract even with my employer discount. Things get even more interesting with the Moto x since it's free on contact right now or $399 from Motorola. Will I keep the phone for two years, probably not. Decisions, decisions!

Last edited by Tysonsaurus; 01-20-2014 at 01:56 AM.

The Moto X has been getting excellent reviews. I would be tempted to go the Moto X route mainly because it will probably get updates to Kit Kat and beyond....much faster than Samsung or LG, etc.
    I currently have the Galaxy S4 on AT&T and am very pleased with coverage, speeds, and everything else...except the high cost (have 6 lines!!).

Quote Originally Posted by dm3ready View Post
    The Moto X has been getting excellent reviews. I would be tempted to go the Moto X route mainly because it will probably get updates to Kit Kat and beyond....much faster than Samsung or LG, etc.
    I currently have the Galaxy S4 on AT&T and am very pleased with coverage, speeds, and everything else...except the high cost (have 6 lines!!).

I love the S4 and is a good phone plus I think Amazon is selling it for like $49 with a new contract for the 16GB version .... I also have the Nexus 5 and the battery is ok ... Not as good as my s4 and lasts me about 9 hours with about 25% battery left and I actually like the camera better then the s4 camera.... The quality outright is better on the S4 and you get more options but I love the OIS on the nexus 5 and the app itself much better and cleaner in my opinion

For the love of GOD don't switch.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Att has been great in my area! CS is not bad either. The new share plans have also become a lot cheaper as well.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!

Global Posts
    1,016 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Holliwood103 View Post
    For the love of GOD don't switch.

I've been with AT&T for years and much prefer them to Verizon. I always felt ripped off by Verizon, and AT&T's coverage is better for me personally.
    Thanked by:
    erwaso and cgardnervt like this.