AT&T: NEW family data share plans start tomorrow

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
That's strange... did they say why?

I have two smartphones that are on a 2-yr contract (one is in about 9 months and the other is in 4 months) and they switched both phones and an iPad over to the new 10 GB shared plan for $140/mo. So, I'm paying an unsubsidized cell plan price for subsidized phones.

Corporate stores are worthless. The reps are paid to make money on the Next plan. I went through the customer care chat on the AT&T website and had no problems at all. Try that, if it still doesn't work then call in and demand it. They can definitely do it. One of my lines was upgraded in May, one in August, and the 3rd line was just added 3 months ago. My lines are all in 2 year agreements and I didn't do any upgrades yesterday via the Next plan nor do I plan to. I will buy all my phones from here on out from 3rd party sources such as Swappa, Ebay, Craigslist or the Google Play Store.

Just do it online at the site the OP linked. It's very easy. I did it for my coworker.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

The kid just said i have to get 3 new phones on NEXT to do so and even pointed him to the link on his iPad. He didn't care . I'll try and call CS.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
G2's are sold out everywhere so im waiting for the G3 to do NEXT, but in the meantime i'd like to save $55/mo while adding 4GB (i have 6gb now) lol

bigjim71

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I must be one of the few that wants to keep the grip on my unlimited. 10 gig would be plenty for the 4 of us. I'm the only one that really uses any data anyway. I think the most I might have ever used in a month was like 5 or 6 gig but usually around 3 or so. I would be saving around 40 to 50 a month before figuring in the next payments but I'm really the only one that gets new phones on a regular basis. By still having the unlimited I still feel as though I have an upper hand on them in a way and giving it up would be as if I were giving in to corporate greed.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Attachments

• 1391725668878.jpg
    1391725668878.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 23

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I must be one of the few that wants to keep the grip on my unlimited. 10 gig would be plenty for the 4 of us. I'm the only one that really uses any data anyway. I think the most I might have ever used in a month was like 5 or 6 gig but usually around 3 or so. I would be saving around 40 to 50 a month before figuring in the next payments but I'm really the only one that gets new phones on a regular basis. By still having the unlimited I still feel as though I have an upper hand on them in a way and giving it up would be as if I were giving in to corporate greed.

I felt the same way as you did but this deal was just too good to pass up.

bigjim71

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's kinda how I'm feeling. It's either that or jump to tmo but there's also bit of uncertainty there with them as far as coverage

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's kinda how I'm feeling. It's either that or jump to tmo but there's also bit of uncertainty there with them as far as coverage

If you don't use the unlimited data.. And what I mean by that is you could survive on a limited plan.. You should save yourself the cash.. But truly only do it if you're not using that much data.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
We have yet to combine my girlfriends account into mine. Then we will convert to the 10gig plan to get out of our contracts and spend only $60 each for service. Much better than single lines! Anyone done this? Any loop holes I'm missing?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
We have yet to combine my girlfriends account into mine. Then we will convert to the 10gig plan to get out of our contracts and spend only $60 each for service. Much better than single lines! Anyone done this? Any loop holes I'm missing?

Is your contract over? The contract won't end by switching to this. It will end on the date shown with your agreement.

They are just allowing those in contract to switch.. Not switch and dumb the remaining time on the contract :).

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is if we combined the 2 accounts then go on this new pricing then we are no longer tied to a contract. But we will have to renew VIA the NEXT program to keep the pricing going forward or buy a device out right. (N5 in my case)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is if we combined the 2 accounts then go on this new pricing then we are no longer tied to a contract. But we will have to renew VIA the NEXT program to keep the pricing going forward or buy a device out right. (N5 in my case)

When my buddy gets back I'll check his account. I'd be shocked if they did this since people on contract could swap and then cancel service.. Would be avoiding the ETF.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
When my buddy gets back I'll check his account. I'd be shocked if they did this since people on contract could swap and then cancel service.. Would be avoiding the ETF.

Called CS. Nice woman switch me to the 10gb plan with 3 smartphones for $145/mo. Did not have to upgrade with NEXT. Lowered my bill by over $50/mo and added 4gb.

My contracts still have the original end date though. So one cannot cancel service yet. Although we can use next or subsidized upgrades any time now. Using a subsidized contract upgrade makes that line go from $15 to $40 per month.

Now I'm just waiting for the LG G3 to come out. Also helps that the 2 others my plan for care for upgrades or changing their phones for a long time. Wahoo!

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Called CS. Nice woman switch me to the 10gb plan with 3 smartphones for $145/mo. Did not have to upgrade with NEXT. Lowered my bill by over $50/mo and added 4gb.

My contracts still have the original end date though. So one cannot cancel service yet. Although we can use next or subsidized upgrades any time now. Using a subsidized contract upgrade makes that line go from $15 to $40 per month.

Now I'm just waiting for the LG G3 to come out. Also helps that the 2 others my plan for care for upgrades or changing their phones for a long time. Wahoo!

You are correct! After the changes took place last night on my account I saw it. Either way I'm saving a ton of money for each of us AND we can use NEXT if we had too. I don't plan on it. But the girlfriend might. She still has an HTC One X while I have the HTC One. I know she's been looking at the Moto X. ($23/month on next or just $329 out right)

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I was in a similar situation. I went from paying $170/mo for two smartphones and one iPad on a shared plan with 6 GB data, to paying $140/mo for the new 10 GB shared plan. Both my smartphones were still on 2-yr contracts, and I don't need to exchange them and get new phones on the NEXT plan. I can keep using them as long as I want and continue to be on this new plan.
Although technically with this new plan I'm "off-contract", I still need to keep the AT&T service until the 2-yr contract anniversary date is up with each phone.

Since one of my phones has been on AT&T service for more than 6 months, I have the ability to upgrade to a new phone using the NEXT program. I don't plan to do this, but if I did it effectively means AT&T has waived my early termination fees for my old phone and I can upgrade to a new phone under NEXT, and keep my existing phone. I don't have to turn my old phone in, and I could sell it on eBay or Swappa if I want. This situation is only available to me because I switched over to the new Shared Plan while under a 2-yr contract. So, I could actually make out on this deal pretty well. Who doesn't love AT&T? :)

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
More than happy with AT&T! Screw tmobile lol

And screw that kid who told me to upgrade with NEXT if I want the new pricing!

tex0322

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I got on this plan when I bought my new off contract phone last week as well. $160 for 4 phones with 10 GB of data is a good price.

My understanding is if one of the lines wants the subsidized price on a new phone that one line would go from $15 a month to $40 a month so it would still be an option, just at a higher price. I hope this is correct.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma