Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AT&T NEXT plan a rip-off?

I'm sorry I can't edit the subject. I feel bad I used such a word.

[EDITED to essentially remove my ill-formed question]

I answered my question by analyzing the NEXT vs. Contract plans (with screen shots below, 2 posts down:

Mike

Default Re: ATT NEXT plan a ripp-off?

Next means you buy the phone over time.. If you turn it in before you pay it off to get a new device then yes you're correct that you have no device..

However

If you pay the device off in full on next and then decide to upgrade you keep the phone (since you paid it off) and can get another starting the whole next process over again.

Basically if you don't pay the phone off in full and want to switch you have to give it up.. Otherwise it's yours once paid.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It wasn't until I crunched the numbers that I realized that the Next 12 turned in after 12 months is a simple lease (paying only for the depreciation).

I did my analysis for a Note 3 ATT NEXT vs. 2 year contract price with ATT Value Share 10 gig plan. I did not compare it to an iphone like my original question because I wanted apples to apples (no pun intended).

It works out to be the same $40/month if I do that, or buy it myself, and sell it privately after 12 months. For some reason, I didn't see that when I asked my question.

It drops to $29/month if I keep it 20 months.

Interestingly, a contract phone where you pay an extra $25/month in increased line charges so you can buy the phone for $299 comes out to be $30/month.

So, the basic choice is $40/month for a 1 year lease or $30/month for a 20 or 24 month purchase.

The value of $288 after 12 months and $200 after 20 months is strictly a guess. If I'm very off, it will of course affect the payment.

Here's my Excel handy-work for 4 scenarios:

See attached

AT&T NEXT plan a rip-off?-att-1.jpg
    AT&T NEXT plan a rip-off?-att-2.jpg
    AT&T NEXT plan a rip-off?-att-3.jpg
    AT&T NEXT plan a rip-off?-att-4e.jpg
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

The real eye-opener is that the traditional contracted (24 month) deal = simply buying and paying it off over 20 months. Aside from being shorter, you have the flexibility to sell it sooner if you want to.

Global Posts
    661 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One Stock All the Way

I did a similar analysis for my situation (2 smartphones and an iPad on the new 10 GB plan), and since my wife and I usually upgrade our phones at the 12-18 month mark (paying ETFs), going with the NEXT setup seemed reasonable.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I'm going to do a chart and post it here but one way to look at it is: you pay $36/month (for a note 3) for the first 12 months. If you keep it 8 more months, months 13-20 you are basically paying about $8/month (if the end-value of the phone of lets say $225/8=$28. $36-$28=8). Then the whole process begins all over again!