Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By matthewmcquay
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How bad's the throttling for unlimited plans?

For those of you on that legacy plan, how bad does ATT choke your speeds when you surpass the monthly allowance?

Sitting here at work with my work 4S, averaging about 0.81/0.15 mbps after a few ookla runs.

Default Re: How bad's the throttling for unlimited plans?

Sounds like a lot.

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Once I hit 5 GB, AT&T also slows my speeds down to less than 1 mbps download and disappointingly laughing upload. And before the throttling, the highest speeds on average are less than 10 mbsp download. I work less than a mile away from DFW International Airport though so that may have something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TxAndroidGuy View Post
    Once I hit 5 GB, AT&T also slows my speeds down to less than 1 mbps download and disappointingly laughing upload. And before the throttling, the highest speeds on average are less than 10 mbsp download. I work less than a mile away from DFW International Airport though so that may have something to do with it.
    I live in the same area, and on a bad day, I get 40MBPS download speed and 10 up. Your speeds shouldn't be that slow.

It chokes you to 2g speeds. 0.3 down if you're lucky.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Att does not offer unlimited data plans.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Fanelli View Post
    Att does not offer unlimited data plans.

He said legacy unlimited plan. People are still on those on AT&T. Sounds like they want then off those plans.

On a side note, I am on a legacy Verizon unlimited plan & get no throttling, even after 100gb's.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10
    Tim
    Droid 4
    Nexus 10
    Lapdock 500 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Evilnut View Post
    He said legacy unlimited plan. People are still on those on AT&T. Sounds like they want then off those plans.

On a side note, I am on a legacy Verizon unlimited plan & get no throttling, even after 100gb's.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10
    Yeah Verizon doesn't throttle unlimited like AT&T on their legacy plans. One of our mods used 5 TB and didn't get throttled.

I've been throttled the last 2 months and it's infuriating. The speeds are laughable. I just tested and here are my results. Luckily, I only have 4 days left in my cycle.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How bad's the throttling for unlimited plans?-screenshot_2014-08-04-12-59-43.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by HiMynameisMattyK View Post
    I've been throttled the last 2 months and it's infuriating. The speeds are laughable. I just tested and here are my results. Luckily, I only have 4 days left in my cycle.

Ouch .

Damn lol.

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

My results are like the rest of yours, after 5gb I'm throttled down to like .5mbps. I have google ways to get around the throttling and there are a bunch of methods (changing apns, dial codes, switching to an iphone data plan and then back), none of which worked for me. Anyone else have any luck?

Also, I've read on a couple forums that if you can get a cool rep to switch you to a business unlimited plan you won't get throttled.....haven't tried this one yet.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Sophos View Post
    My results are like the rest of yours, after 5gb I'm throttled down to like .5mbps. I have google ways to get around the throttling and there are a bunch of methods (changing apns, dial codes, switching to an iphone data plan and then back), none of which worked for me. Anyone else have any luck?

Also, I've read on a couple forums that if you can get a cool rep to switch you to a business unlimited plan you won't get throttled.....haven't tried this one yet.
    Unlimited data is just not a reality anymore. I'd say cut it loose and get the 10 gig plan. Unless its to much money for ya. How much data does one need? I know people whom use 35+ gigs a month but I just can't wrap my head around it for a avg user.

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    Unlimited data is just not a reality anymore. I'd say cut it loose and get the 10 gig plan. Unless its to much money for ya. How much data does one need? I know people whom use 35+ gigs a month but I just can't wrap my head around it for a avg user.
    Yeah, honestly I don't NEED unlimited. I have WiFi both at work and at home, it's just the fact I pay for it and I hate being throttled.

I play with my food

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Sophos View Post
    Yeah, honestly I don't NEED unlimited. I have WiFi both at work and at home, it's just the fact I pay for it and I hate being throttled.

I play with my food
    I see where your coming from. But the unlimited data plan has always been like this correct? There for its not new other than the fact people are just using more data due to better speeds and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    I see where your coming from. But the unlimited data plan has always been like this correct? There for its not new other than the fact people are just using more data due to better speeds and what not.
    The throttle wasn't there before they got rid of unlimited. A little bit after switching to limited plans is when they started throttling unlimited.
    Thanked by:

More reason I'm glad I'm on T-Mobile lol.

Sent from my Z730 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Evilnut View Post
    And now, if you upgrade at AT&T, you have to choose a new plan. They won't let you hang onto the unlimited data plan.

From Gizmodo:

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    And now, if you upgrade at AT&T, you have to choose a new plan. They won't let you hang onto the unlimited data plan.

From Gizmodo:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...6oqyzm4vsp.png
    Can you post a link for the Gizmodo article?

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post

From Gizmodo:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...6oqyzm4vsp.png
    They say that all the time. All it takes is a call to AT&T Customer Service and when the person on the phone realizes they can't keep you on unlimited, you get transferred to a supervisor who fixes it.

It's happened to me several times. They are always ready and willing to fix it. Granted, I am a business customer, so I don't know about normal CS.

Posted via the Android Central App
    pcsperson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewmcquay View Post
    They say that all the time. All it takes is a call to AT&T Customer Service and when the person on the phone realizes they can't keep you on unlimited, you get transferred to a supervisor who fixes it.

It's happened to me several times. They are always ready and willing to fix it. Granted, I am a business customer, so I don't know about normal CS.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Yeah business CUSTOMERS usually get... More flex room I guess you could say?

Glad I left AT&T behind in 2013. Unlimited Data stuck at 0.5Mb/0.5Mb was just horrible. Especially with no option for tethering.

I have Verizon and i barely use 10GIGS of Data..With 2 lines... I mainly use WIFI! No Throttle Here... Ever How bad's the throttling for unlimited plans?-screenshot_2014-09-23-10-44-25.jpg