Need a phone for camping

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Welll folks this Thursday I will be going camping. So I need a new phone that I can bring with that will last a good 4-5 days. My HTC One will be left home for the weekend. Any advice? Looking to budget cheap! It does not need to be a smartphone. I was thinking of getting a GoPhone to just use for basic texting, calls and thats about it really. In case I'm in a pinch! Plus I have a Nano SIM...Not sure how that will play out. Any advice?
Thanks!
CJ

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I would get a Samsung clamshell type 'feature phone', a.k.a. 'dumb phone', for 19,99 or 29,99, that accommodates the SIM card from my HTC One. Battery, on standby, lasts at least 2 weeks.

Thanks for the advice. Can you link the phone? When I Google it I get all kinds of stuff!

Any one else wanna chime in as well?!

Thanks folks! :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Why not use the HTC One but just disable mobile data? If you want a cheap phone, most basic phones that I had before smartphones would last about a week on light usage. Keep in mind the signal strength as well, in a marginal signal area, the battery would drain faster. You can also consider a USB battery pack to charge in case you run out of batteries

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Why not use the HTC One but just disable mobile data? If you want a cheap phone, most basic phones that I had before smartphones would last about a week on light usage. Keep in mind the signal strength as well, in a marginal signal area, the battery would drain faster. You can also consider a USB battery pack to charge in case you run out of batteries

Great idea but not only will I be leaving my phone but I will be leaving work behind as well! :) So I just need a basic phone in case I need to call someone on the way there! However you have brought up a lot of good work arounds and things that I have thought about.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Assuming that you have cell signal, it could come in handy, say if you get lost on a hike or something. Or checking the weather. Or finding lyrics to campfire songs.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You might be over thinking it a bit.
Instead of looking for a phone that will last 4 or 5 days on, why not find ANY (what ever your carrier is) compatible dumb phone and simply turn it off while your camping.
Your previous statement of leaving work behind and only using the phone to call while your traveling if you needed something makes it sound like you wont need a phone powered on and in stand by to possibly distract you.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
You might be over thinking it a bit.
Instead of looking for a phone that will last 4 or 5 days on, why not find ANY (what ever your carrier is) compatible dumb phone and simply turn it off while your camping.
Your previous statement of leaving work behind and only using the phone to call while your traveling if you needed something makes it sound like you wont need a phone powered on and in stand by to possibly distract you.

Becuase I said I didn't wanna bring my smartphone. Its simple as that. I'm looking for a normal phone that might support my Sim card.

Sent From My Nexus 7

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Becuase I said I didn't wanna bring my smartphone. Its simple as that. I'm looking for a normal phone that might support my Sim card.

Sent From My Nexus 7
Thats what i said. You might want to re-read what i wrote as i think you dont get what said.
You dont need to find a phone with 4 or 5 days of battery life. Simply find ANY compatible DUMB phone thats compatible and TURN IT OFF while your actually camping. I never said anything about you taking your work phone with you.
You said you only needed it while driving or in a pinch.
Also since you have a nano sim i will tell you right now there are no dumb phones on the market that take nano.. It is literally only used on a handful of smart phones now. Most still use full size or mini sim.
So your going to also need to buy a sim card adapter.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Thats what i said. You might want to re-read what i wrote as i think you dont get what said.
You dont need to find a phone with 4 or 5 days of battery life. Simply find ANY compatible DUMB phone thats compatible and TURN IT OFF while your actually camping. I never said anything about you taking your work phone with you.
You said you only needed it while driving or in a pinch.
Also since you have a nano sim i will tell you right now there are no dumb phones on the market that take nano.. It is literally only used on a handful of smart phones now. Most still use full size or mini sim.
So your going to also need to buy a sim card adapter.

I stand corrected. In any case the M7 takes a micro SIM. Thank you for the advice :)

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I stand corrected. In any case the M7 takes a micro SIM. Thank you for the advice :)
Im sure you can get a sweet deal on an older used flip phone, maybe even with a couple spare batteries (just incase) or one with a micro usb charger (even though your camping you still have a vehicle somewhat close to get you there) and the all important sim adapters. I picked up 2 packs of them from Amazon at like 5 bucks a pack. Well worth it in my opinion.

Have a great trip and be safe..

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone! For this camping trip I caved and brought the smartphone. Next time I will better prepare!

Sent from my HTC One