Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Travelling to San Francisco from Canada

Hello,

Looking for some advice. The wife and I are driving from Vancouver, Canada, to San Francisco. The Canadian carriers are gouging us already on our current plans, I'm paying $85/mo already. I looked into getting a travel addon from them, but it's an additional $40 and only gives me 100MB of data, 250 minutes, and 200 text messages. That seems like too much of a rip-off.

I have a spare unlocked HTC One X. Can I buy a SIM from AT&T or some other carrier and pre-load it with minutes and data? Figure I'll need about 500MB of data at most for the time I'm down there.

I looked on AT&T's, Verizon's, and Sprints website but couldn't find anything or didn't recognize anything that was what I am looking for.

Does anyone here have any insight?

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    Carrier
    None Yet...

Default Re: Travelling to San Francisco from Canada

Have you thought about prepaid services? Cricket wireless SIM would work for you. 500 megs plus unlimited talk and text for one month is $40. They use att towers! So coverage should be good. Stay away from Sprint (Not that it would work anyways!) Coverage seems to be hit or miss and Verizon is also CDMA.

You can buy any gsm prepaid sim card and just pick the plan you want. Just make sure you buy an AT&T and not t-mobile one as tmobile isn't the best for coverage

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hey guys, thanks. I stopped at an AT&T store in Seattle and got a Sim from them with a 500mb package.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk