Can anyone help explain the AT&T: Family Share Plan?

10pmStalker

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
AT&T: Family Share Plan

So my 2 year contract is about to expire in October and I was looking into 3 subsidized phones on the 10GB family plan. I just learned that it will cost $100 plus $40 per line. I read something about being able to get the $15 per line if you had a contract before Feburary 2014. I'm confused by it. Maybe somebody could clear it up.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Family Plan Question

So my 2 year contract is about to expire in October and I was looking into 3 subsidized phones on the 10GB family plan. I just learned that it will cost $100 plus $40 per line. I read something about being able to get the $15 per line if you had a contract before Feburary 2014. I'm confused by it. Maybe somebody could clear it up.

The Feb. 2014 thing is correct to an extent. Basically what AT&T did is come out with a "Mobile Share Value Plan" where they (supposedly) make it cheaper to have their plans... Only issue is some people were in contracts and couldn't switch so AT&T said if you were in a contract before Feb. 2014 they will let you switch to these new plans (but of course your contract stays).

So for awhile it is cheaper.... Until you are ready to upgrade. You have basically two routes to go.

I am pulling pricing information from here (in case you are curious) --- Family Cell Phone Plans – Mobile Share Value Plans from AT&T

Mobile Share Plan - $15 route
Now with AT&T if you go the $15 per line route (plus the $100 for the 10 GB of data) you then have to pay for the phone in installments. So for example...

10 GB shared - $100
3 Lines - $15 (each) = $45
3 Phone payments (usually anywhere from $20-30 a month PER line... we will go with $20 for this example) = $60
=
$205 + Taxes and that would be your monthly bill.

Monthly Share Plan - $40 a month route
With this route you simply buy the phones via contract ($199 down or whatever) and then you're in a 2 year contract but the "line" price goes up.

10 GB shared - $100
3 Lines - $40 (each) = $120
=
$220 + Taxes.

Now remember these are rough estimates of your bill .. and the phone payment could be $25 to $30 each per phone ( I went with the cheaper $20 installment payment for this example) .. especially if it is a new phone. This all can get kind of confusing so please let me know if I helped or if you have any additional questions :).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781