Using an old device when not changing your IMEI to your new device

DSF767

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
All,

I have a general question, I got a new Sony Xperia Z3, now because AT&T does not sell the Z3 I got an international unlocked phone which when I researched everyone told me not to change my IMEI with AT&T and keep the IMEI of my old HTC ONE M7 registered to my account with AT&T and if I tried to change the IMEI with AT&T I would have all sorts of data problems because I am using an international unlocked phone which AT&T does not sell any version of (the Z3 I got has all the AT&T LTE bands and is currently working perfectly with LTE data and my IMEI still set to my M7 with AT&T).

I was showing my friend my new phone and he asked what I was doing with my M7 and I told him I was planning on keeping it as a spare he asked me if I was willing to let him use it because he has a really old android phone and I said I need to research to see if there would be any negative effects.

So my question is if I let him use the phone will AT&T black list it because someone else is using the device when the IMEI is still registered to my account and tied to the SIM in that is in my new Z3?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
AT&T doesn't register the IMEI number to your account --- Your account is setup by your SIM card. The only thing you have to do with the international version is ensure it is unlocked .. then pop a SIM into it. AT&T allows people to bring their own device so they don't lock the IMEI number to your account only --- The only time an IMEI number comes into play is if you have a contract with that phone and stop paying -- or if it is stolen -- they will black list the number so it can't be used on any carrier.

Changing an IMEI number is illegal anyway. You should never do it.

DSF767

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Well I did buy an unlocked Z3 popped the SIM in and it worked perfect. I just didn't want there to be an issue if I sold my M7 because ATT saw the IMEI and it was not using my SIM. Always better to check and research first as I would not want my M7 to get black listed.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well I did buy an unlocked Z3 popped the SIM in and it worked perfect. I just didn't want there to be an issue if I sold my M7 because ATT saw the IMEI and it was not using my SIM. Always better to check and research first as I would not want my M7 to get black listed.

You can sell it. It would only get black listed if you stopped paying for it.