Does AT&T still offer 12 month plans on the Next program?

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Thinking about getting an S6 edge when it comes out and wanted to know if AT&T still has the 12 month Next program so I could upgrade after a year?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thinking about getting an S6 edge when it comes out and wanted to know if AT&T still has the 12 month Next program so I could upgrade after a year?

From the looks of it they offer 12, 18, and 24 months. I am sure with the S6 / S6 Edge it will be the same :).

Attachments

• att.png
    att.png
    336.8 KB · Views: 91

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
How does the Next program work exactly? Is it basically the full price of the phone divided into 12/18/24 equal payments? I heard that the phone is never truly "yours"? Is that true? Or does that only apply if you want to trade up after 12/18/24 months? :confused:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How does the Next program work exactly? Is it basically the full price of the phone divided into 12/18/24 equal payments? I heard that the phone is never truly "yours"? Is that true? Or does that only apply if you want to trade up after 12/18/24 months? :confused:

Exactly. It is the full price spread out over 12/18/24 months -- after it is paid off in full the phone is 100% yours :).

WBSnow

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. It is the full price spread out over 12/18/24 months -- after it is paid off in full the phone is 100% yours :).

I have bought two phones (BlackBerry for me and iPhone for my sister) on the Next plan. The phones will be ours technically after 30 months, even though we're on the 24 month plan. I can pay the phones off early, if I choose.

Posted via the Android Central App

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I have bought two phones (BlackBerry for me and iPhone for my sister) on the Next plan. The phones will be ours technically after 30 months, even though we're on the 24 month plan. I can pay the phones off early, if I choose.

Posted via the Android Central App
Why 30 months? Please explain. Thanks!

mellojoe

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
NOTE: AT&T names things where the numbering may be slightly confusing.

The Next 24, 24-month plan means that you are free to UPGRADE after 24-months, but you don't actually pay off the full price of the phone until 30 months. For example a $600 phone, on the 24-month plan, has payments of $20 a month. But $20 x 24 months only adds up to $480. At that point, you can trade in your phone for a new upgrade, and start a new payment plan for a new phone. Basically, they "buy" the phone back from you for $120, the difference between the original $600 you agreed to pay and the $480 you have already paid. However, if you choose not to "upgrade" at 24-months, you keep paying the original $20 a month for those remaining 6 months to pay that final $120. At that point, you owe no more money, and the phone is fully yours. No questions asked.

So, a Next 24 is actually spreading the costs over 30 months, but they let you sell it back to AT&T at 24-months if you agree to buy another phone from them.

You pay the full price for a phone.

Doing the math, though, Next is still cheaper than getting a subsidized phone under contract. Put it this way, your cellphone bill is going to be the same, but paying for it yourself, you add $20 to the cost of that bill. Buying it under contract adds $20 to the bill PLUS paying $200 upfront for the phone.

I am an old banker, so financing things is always a negative in my book. I've seen what unnecessary debt can do to folks, and I pay cash whenever possible. I resisted NEXT for a long time simply because I felt that "financing" a phone through a carrier was just a way for them to make extra money off me, and i'd rather just buy it outright. And if i'm buying it, I might as well subsidize it since I'll be on their service for longer than any 2-year contract they need me to agree to. But, after speaking to several with AT&T and doing the math over and over, and actually seeing the results in my bank account, NEXT comes out cheaper. Phone service providers are no longer giving away free phones, since smartphones already penetrate well over 80% of the market. Thus, having the customer buy the phone is a more attractive option for them, and it turns out better for you too these days.

TL/DR:
Next 12 = 20 monthly payments, with guaranteed trade-in at 12-months.
Next 18 = 24 monthly payments, with guaranteed trade-in at 18-months.
Next 24 = 30 monthly payments, with guaranteed trade-in at 24-months.
Next actually cheaper than subsidized contracts.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The only advantage to any of these financing options is the 0% financing aspect. Buying the phone outright still qualifies you for the byod discounts except you have to shell out the whole price of the phone up front. So if you have the cash, no reason to finance it or sign a contact. . If you'd prefer to pay it off a little every month, then financing is a great option. Purchasing full retail still get you line discounts, so the 0% option is the only real benefit

Last edited:

huskers15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Next 24 will not save you any money, its a 2 year plan and you can get a 2 year contract for $200 and if you pay the 24 months at 2 years, you would have paid $480. You will lose $280 dollars and still owe $120 for the phone. Not a good deal in my mind.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Next 24 will not save you any money, its a 2 year plan and you can get a 2 year contract for $200 and if you pay the 24 months at 2 years, you would have paid $480. You will lose $280 dollars and still owe $120 for the phone. Not a good deal in my mind.

But your forgetting the line discount $15/month less on next 24. So you add an extra $360 on contract. $200 plus $360 =$560 compared to $480

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey