A little trouble upgrading to unlimited 4G today.

axoid

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a HTC Inspire 4G and I had a little problem with extending my grandfathered unlimited plan. My plan dates back to 07 and provided both unlimited 3G data and unlimited 3G tethering.

I bought the phone at Best Buy because they?re offering free upgrade protection plans right now, but while they were configuring the Inspire, it wouldn?t connect to the internet. Calls and texting worked, but no data except through wi-fi.

After two and a half hours working with the people at Best Buy and two different people at AT&T, they had to switch me to an unlimited 4G plan. But this caused me to loose my unlimited tethering, AT&T does not offer that anymore. My tethering is now limited to 4GB of data a month and the cost of my monthly bill went up $5. I?m not angry or anything, the people at Best Buy and AT&T were very professional and worked hard to find a way to get the Inspire to work and keep as much of my previous plan?s abilities as possible. I just wanted to share in case someone else with a plan like mine decides to upgrade.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I'm pretty positive I'm going to get stuck having to get a new data plan. I just realized the unlimited data plan I have is for basic phones. My Treo Pro doesn't register as a Smartphone on Att's network. So somehow I ended up with data unlimited for just a basic phone. Its not a smartphone data plan. I've been on it for close to 3 years.
I'm considering the Inspire, but now I don't what to do.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a HTC Inspire 4G and I had a little problem with extending my grandfathered unlimited plan. My plan dates back to 07 and provided both unlimited 3G data and unlimited 3G tethering.

I bought the phone at Best Buy because they?re offering free upgrade protection plans right now, but while they were configuring the Inspire, it wouldn?t connect to the internet. Calls and texting worked, but no data except through wi-fi.

After two and a half hours working with the people at Best Buy and two different people at AT&T, they had to switch me to an unlimited 4G plan. But this caused me to loose my unlimited tethering, AT&T does not offer that anymore. My tethering is now limited to 4GB of data a month and the cost of my monthly bill went up $5. I?m not angry or anything, the people at Best Buy and AT&T were very professional and worked hard to find a way to get the Inspire to work and keep as much of my previous plan?s abilities as possible. I just wanted to share in case someone else with a plan like mine decides to upgrade.

Smartphone Devices and Data Plans - Wireless from AT&T

Scroll to the bottom:

Q: I am using a Smartphone Data Unlimited Plan. Do I need to sign up for a DataPlus or DataPro plan instead? Can I switch Between these New Data Plans As Needed?

A: If you were on a Smartphone Data Unlimited plan prior to June 7th, 2010, and would prefer to keep it, no problem! Even if you choose to upgrade to a new Smartphone and/or extend your contract. You may choose to move from your unlimited plan to either a DataPlus or DataPro plan. However, once you have moved to a DataPlus or DataPro plan, your old unlimited plan will no longer be available.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood