AT&T vs Verizon ... in rural areas

Jim Ahrman

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Asked this in Verizon forum...no luck, so i'll ask this over here..

Has anyone made the switch recently from ma bell to big red? at&t was first carrier in my area..had them for....long time... live in the country..no
cable..only option is satellite.. luckily i really like direct tv...so was set on finally getting rid of my bb 9000...and go to atrix... but with now hearing at&t limiting uploads... should i consider big red? I keep wondering..because of where i live...my speeds are going to be limited anyway..will it make any difference?
Sprint..no wimax..
No Verizon 4g/lte
ma bell just gave me 3g late last summer
my speeds all suck compared to what everyone else is getting..so...
Anyone have any thoughts to add to me switching? Getting a new phone..no matter the carrier..will be an improvement...but upload/download speeds won't make a difference.
I have a sprint 301 for internet...i sware it's gotten slower in the last year..phone is bb 9000...
Thanks

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I also have the Sprint 301 for internet. 1 bar 3G.
I live out in the boonies.
Verizon just happened to be the worst for my location.
I have att for voice and data on my treo. I can force it to 3G, but there's no point, all I get is edge where I live.
Don't hesitate to give another carrier a try, and if it isn't satisfactory, cancel before the 30 days are up - the only thing you may have to lose is the activation fee.

Jim Ahrman

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
maybe i'll throw up the bat signal on facebook and see if i get any responses of people who live out this way and see if i get any responses.
Thanks

Jim

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
It would help if you specify where :eek:ut this way" is.

For instance, I live in central Wisconsin, and from here to the northwoods, AT&T is the primary carrier. My phone works great. You get south of the city I live in, and there are some pretty good dead zones. There, Verizon is primary.

So, the answer is, it depends on where you live.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Since you know there will not be LTE, you could always try out VZW for 15 days and see if it for you. Or try out AT&T, I'm not familiar with AT&T's return policy.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Here in the rocky mountains at&t is not good, most people use Verizon because it seems to stretch by 50 to 10,000 yard more that at&t. It could be opposite in other areas, but in Boulder Co, at&t customers get dropped calls all the time, and my friend Wendy has to go to one side of her house for it to work, she now has VZW, no prob....That is just the little deep mountain foothill geolocal CO.

kathywithak

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
i live in central california and i get pretty good service with my phone. my friend has verizon and lives waaaaaay out in the country. whenever i go to her house it seems to be that we have about the same service when making calls, however i am actually able to get on the internet while her internet connection doesnt work. with that said, i let her borrow an extra line from our AT&T acct when she was without a phone and considering the POS phone it was ($20 nokia flip phone purchased just to keep the line active) it got better service than both of our smartphones.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
If you have unlimited data with AT&T then you need to consider that if you go with Verizon you will lose that. Also, know that Verizon limits their data speeds too according to how much you use. Lastly, you never know how a phone is going to perform until you give it a try. All carriers offer a trial period, usually 30 days, where you can test drive a new phone and their coverage. Just be aware that if you do choose to give Verizon a try and you have unlimited data with AT&T you will lose that by trying out Big Red.

Vinte419

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Yep, it pretty much depends on your locations. The trial periods for verizon is 14 days, after that you will get slapped with an early termination fee of around 300 dollars. Att is 30 days, and they will also slap you with an early termination fee after the 30 days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome