Can I keep my unlimited data plan?

fnmotox

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I am currently under a two year contact with AT&T. When my contract ends can I keep my unlimited data plan now that 2 year contracts don't exist?

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
To put it in another other terms like @Almeuit is saying.

If you go to an ATT store and try to buy a phone through them, they will force you to make a change to your existing rate plan contract or no contract. Thats usually how they get people off those grandfathered unlimited plans. At least until they offered the ATT Uverse / Dish promo bundled with Unlimited plan.
So if you buy a used phone or new at another source all you need to do is swap your sim card and maybe update the IMEI serial number with ATT. But most people dont even do that. They just swap sim cards.

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
That's not true. You can get a new phone on att next (installment plan) and you can still keep your original unlimited data plan. They don't "force you" to change it. I am an employee and know how the upgrades and plans work.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
That's not true. You can get a new phone on att next (installment plan) and you can still keep your original unlimited data plan. They don't "force you" to change it. I am an employee and know how the upgrades and plans work.

You must be the person who suggested they take away contracts

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

And if a customer doesnt want to lease a phone but buy it then what? The problem with Next is you dont own the phone. You pay on it and then have to turn it in, correct? I dont have any dealings with Next but the last time i dealt with going to a store with an unlimited plan and trying to get a new phone the "system" didnt have unlimited plans and in order to get a new phone i had to select a plan to use with the upgrade.
Just my experience. Maybe i got an employee who wanted to to make money at my expense either way left me with a bad AT&T customer experience.

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Att next allows you to keep the phone after its paid for. You do not have to trade it in. Trade in option allows you to trade it in for a new phone if installments aren't complete. You have a choice.

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Example: on a 24 month installment plan, you can pay for 18 months, trade device back in, last 6 payments are waived and that is your trade in credit. You can then get a new phone on another installment. Or if you want to keep your phone, you just complete your 24 month payment plan.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And if a customer doesnt want to lease a phone but buy it then what? The problem with Next is you dont own the phone. You pay on it and then have to turn it in, correct?

Then you're in the same boat as you would be on alot of other carriers.. Either buy via payment plan or buy it out right.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I were on the grandfathered unlimited data plans. As long as we have AT&T wireless and Direct TV, all four lines are on unlimited data, talk and text but no hotspot. We were able to do shared upgrades with the two year contract agreement last month when I upgraded to the GS7 and this month when I got my son an i6s. I could be wrong but I was told that if I no longer have Direct TV that we would be back on our former plans. Taken with a large grain of salt that the AT&T rep was accurate in telling me that.

Posted via the Android Central App

mike56801

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
My wife and I were on the grandfathered unlimited data plans. As long as we have AT&T wireless and Direct TV, all four lines are on unlimited data, talk and text but no hotspot. We were able to do shared upgrades with the two year contract agreement last month when I upgraded to the GS7 and this month when I got my son an i6s. I could be wrong but I was told that if I no longer have Direct TV that we would be back on our former plans. Taken with a large grain of salt that the AT&T rep was accurate in telling me that.

Once you switch to the Uverse/Directv Unlimited Data Plan you can't go back to a grandfathered plan and must pick a currently available plan or the system will select the biggest Mobile Share plan.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
You are probably right but my longevity has played to our advantage thus far.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar