My 82 yr old Dad may be the last 2G phone holdout in Richmond VA

JoziGrrl

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
So you can imagine my challenges: trying to find out WHEN exactly AT&T plans to retire the 2G into that gentle night, finding a phone he can use and will want to use. The dude lives by himself and I can't have him without service.:-\

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
What does he do with the phone he has now? Does he text, surf and email? Or does he just use it to make calls? If he just makes calls then a 2G phone will work fine for him.

JoziGrrl

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
He's finally been reading texts, he does not surf nor email, however my understanding is AT&T will discontinue 2G in the Richmond, VA area (soon) so I am trying to be sure he keeps service and has a phone he will want to use.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Yes, AT&T is phasing out all its 2G equipment country wide in 2016 according to the letter I received Spring 2015.
Thus my upgrade to the LG G4.

JoziGrrl

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
ManiacJoe, he received a letter sometime in 2015 as well, but I need ammo to get him to ensure he's covered because he's an old dude, if it's ain't broke he won't fix it. I don't want to have to rush around to fix it. Did your letter give you a generalized date or specified date for your region?

JoziGrrl

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
mattewmcquay - if it was only that simple. I have a couple of spares but I know he won't try any of them until the service is off or until he receives a letter stating "On date xx/xx/16 we are discontinuing 2G!" I'm really wondering if anyone knows the dates these things will be turned off so I can gently persuade him to help me help him.

Sgooter

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
AT&T has publicly stated and put it in writing that its 2G service will be shutdown by the end of 2016, and I believe them.