Band 30 weak signal / Band 2 OK / how to prevent Band 30?

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I've been getting a few reports from folks that I have been "breaking up" during calls while I'm in my house. I'm very new at the technical stuff, but via apps like SignalCheck Pro and OpenSignal, I've found that Band 2 -- LTE 1900 -- has been giving me much better signal than Band 30 - LTE 3200. My phone will move between these two bands rather frequently, though most of the time it's on Band 30. My signal on Band 30 can be -117 most of the time, which just really isn't acceptable. My signal on Band 2 is usually quite good -- around -100.

So, is there any way I can prevent my phone from using Band 30? It's a new Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge, though it replaced a Samsung Galaxy S6, which worked just the same as the new phone. I'm thinking that Band 30 is relatively new to my area, and "it sure isn't working well for me!" I've never really had any reports from my callers that I've been breaking up, until recently -- thus my thoughts that Band 30 must be quite new in my area, as I understand it tends to be at this point across the country.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to send my way!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've found that Band 2 -- LTE 1900 -- has been giving me much better signal than Band 30 - LTE 3200.
Not surprising, since 3200MHz has less range than 1900MHz.

So, is there any way I can prevent my phone from using Band 30?
Not really, without redesigning the phone.

"it sure isn't working well for me!"
"Working well" means "having more bandwidth - IOW, more signals can fit in a band - which is all the carrier cares about.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Folks,

Thanks again for your information. Actually, though, I think I've figured out what's really going on. I had heard "turn off VoLTE" a few times before, but I'm still trying to learn what that is all about. However, I think I have collected enough real-world information to understand what's happening in my situation. The story goes like this:

I have had a few phone conversations where the party on the other end can just barely hear me. Whether it's "breaking up:" or just very low volume, I'm not sure about, but apparently the other parties have very nearly been completely unable to hear me. On the other hand, I've had long conversations with other folks, with no problems at all. At first, I checked into the signal strength, and indeed I was getting a low signal on Band 30, as I have reported. But then I've finally had another call where the other party couldn't hear me, while I knew that I had a good signal from Band 2. So, I went ahead and turned off Enhanced LTE Services, then called that party back. Bingo -- instant improvement. A complete, night-and-day difference, just by turning off, presumably, VoLTE.

So, how could it be fine with one call, and awful with another? I'm quite sure that my "good" connections have been with friends who used newer cell phones -- for instance, one that worked just fine had a Samsung Galaxy S6. Whereas my "bad" connections have all been with callers who were using land lines. That is consistent with what I have read -- VoLTE really "works" when both users are employing it -- and from my experience, it really completely ruins calls with phones that don't have VoLTE technology available or enabled.

So, I think that's the story. It's kind of a shame to toss "new, improved" technology into the garbage, but if garbage is what it produces, then that's where I need to toss it. Thanks again for your help!