Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What are the best AT&T phones?

My dad is getting a new phone and he cant decide on any. I need help figuring out which are the best. What are the best current AT&T phones out there?
    Last edited by keystonep1mz; 04-07-2011 at 09:33 PM.
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

Atrix
    Inspire
    Nexus S (not sold by AT&T)

Coming Soon:
    Thrill 4G (3D and dual core)
    Infuse
    Samsung Galaxy S II

Well I would wait for the Galaxy S II because Samsung makes really good phones, if he wants one NOW then the Atrix would be a good choice. I recommend to wait a little while to see what else will be coming to AT&T but if he doesn't then the Atrix would be good.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

My dad says he wants a phone with AMOLED screen, 5 Megapixel Camera with flash, at least 1ghz processor, lots of internal memory, android lol. Is there a really good phone that has all this?
    Last edited by keystonep1mz; 04-10-2011 at 12:50 AM.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    MIUI Rom v1.6

Quote Originally Posted by keystonep1mz View Post
    My dad says he wants a phone with AMOLED screen, 5 Megapixel Camera with flash, at least 1ghz processor, lots of internal memory, android lol. Is there a really good phone that has all this? probably
    If he wants a AMOLED then it would have to be a samsung. Either Captivate if he wants a older one or a infuse which will be out by June or July. The Infuse is 4.5'' diagonal I think. 1.2ghz dual core processor. Very thin build, but plastic. I am not sure if it has flash or not. Should be $199 on upgrade.

The thing is, I don't like samsung phones. I have heard to many bad stories from the Captivate and they have been bad about updating their phones. Also I don't like the feeling of the plasticy phones.

As of right now you have the Atrix or Inspire. Atrix has a lot of potiental if he is into rooting and hacking once the bootloader gets unlocked. It is dual core 1ghz process. The thing is that it has Motoblur and it really makes it feel slow. I am not going to lie, it has hardware to be amazing but it drags in my brief use of it.

I got the HTC Inspire 4G. 4.3'' Super LCD screen. It may not be a AMOLED but the SLCD is nothing at all to be ashamed of. I personally think it looks better than the Captivate. I think the AMOLED over saturates colors and makes everything look fake. The SLCD looks great in my opinion and I don't think you would be missing not having a AMOLED (I don't feel like I am missing out).

It has a 1ghz new snapdragon processor. 768MB of RAM. Nice GPU. 8MP Camera with dual flash. Though it is 8MP don't think this will be replacing a decent digital camera. Also the speaker for speaker phone is a little bad and low volume. There is a fix for this if you root and ROM, but I haven't rooted my phone. Also the signal strength isn't the best but that is just with most smart phones. You can't expect to get the same strength as a dumb phone.

Also it comes with HTC Sense ROM which is in my opinion the best stock ROM you can get (not counting vanilla android). It isn't very intrusive, it is quick, and has a couple nice features.

Also, it is only $99 from AT&T ($19 via Costco). Biggest steal for a high end Android phone right now in my opinion.

If you don't mind Samsung and Touchwiz and possibly not getting an update for a year then maybe try the Samsung Infuse when it comes out. If you want something now then I highly recommend the Inspire.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

For some reason he likes the Fascinate alot but i tell him wait and get the Samsung Galaxy S 2. But the captivate i think is crappy. What about the Fascinate is it any good?

ROM
    Serendipity 6.2

Fascinate, Captivate, Vibrant, Epic 4G, etc are all the same phone (Galaxy-S) just on different carriers. The Fascinate is for Verizon, but at it's core it's the exact same phone as the Captivate (AT&T).

UI tweeks are different here and there according to what the carrier wants, but nothing major.
    Samsung Galaxy-S 3Stock ROM 4.1.2
    LG Thrill 4G CyanogenMod 7 ROM
    Samsung Galaxy-S Captivate Serendipity ROM 6.2 I9000-JK4 Modem
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

What about HTC Inspire?
    LG OPTIMUS V ALL DAY!

I have the inspire, and by far it is the best phone i have had from AT&T. Sure i use the Evo for my personal, and the inspire for my work phone. But i will have to say, based on speed and stability of the device itself (network aside) I kinda wished Sprint had the Inspire.
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

What about the camera quality on the Inspire how is that? is it good?
    LG OPTIMUS V ALL DAY!

8mp. Its as good as a phone camera can get right now

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!

ROM
    MIUI Rom v1.6

What about HTC Inspire?
    Sorry for the long post but my previous post gave a lengthy description of the inspire.

Some people have had bad battery life, but from what I read everyone complains of battery life with smartphones. Mine lasts me all day and still have 20% by that night with moderate use.

TL;DR (from previous post): IMO Inspire is an amazing phone. Best buy for quality and cost.

Also here is a pic I took with the phone.
    http://i.imgur.com/i2Oi8.jpg

To me this is about what I would expect from a phone.
    Last edited by clintrojan; 04-09-2011 at 01:17 AM.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Ok now if you were to choose between 2 phones The Captivate or the HTC Inspire which one would you choose? I know the Captivate doesnt have a flash on the camera but you gotta have a lot of light when takin pics on the other hand the HTC is big and the battery covers are a pain to take off which one? Which one is the better deal or better yet in the long run to have.
    Last edited by keystonep1mz; 04-10-2011 at 12:33 AM.
    LG OPTIMUS V ALL DAY!
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

Ok now if you were to choose between 2 phones The Captivate or the HTC Inspire which one would you choose? I know the Captivate doesnt have a flash on the camera but you gotta have a lot of light when takin pics on the other hand the HTC is big and the battery covers are a pain to take off which one? Which one is the better deal or better yet in the long run to have.
    Well I have spent plenty of time with both and I REALLY like the big 4.3in screen on the Inspire but the captivate feels better in the hand and I like Samsung's touchwiz over Htc's sense. I prefer Samsung as a manufacturer though and I really don't like HTC. Out of those I would get the Captivate but that is just my choice. I say take your dad to the AT&T store and let him spend time with both phones, if he doesn't like either one then he should wait for the SGS2. I say wait for the SGS2 if he wants a really good phone. It's all about personal opinion.
    Thanked by:

Just to add, if he waits 2 months or so, the SGS2 will be out and also the LG Thrill... so some good options in the next few months as far as Android is concerned.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

The phone he has right now is

Nokia 6131 - Full phone specifications

hes had that thing since 2006 lol.
    LG OPTIMUS V ALL DAY!

ROM
    MIUI Rom v1.6

Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    Well I have spent plenty of time with both and I REALLY like the big 4.3in screen on the Inspire but the captivate feels better in the hand and I like Samsung's touchwiz over Htc's sense. I prefer Samsung as a manufacturer though and I really don't like HTC. Out of those I would get the Captivate but that is just my choice. I say take your dad to the AT&T store and let him spend time with both phones, if he doesn't like either one then he should wait for the SGS2. I say wait for the SGS2 if he wants a really good phone. It's all about personal opinion.
    May I ask why you prefer the Galaxy S or even samsung for that matter over HTC? You are really the first person who I have heard that from. I see you have the Nexus S, which is made by samsung. It is very different than the galaxy S phones. You actually get updates on the Nexus S...

The Captivate is already an older phone with the Atrix, Inspire, and later this year the Infuse being the current generation of android phones. It has touchwiz which is the most iphone-like manufacturer skin there is. It took forever to get froyo on the captivate (and all the other galaxy S phones). It is likely not going to get gingerbread or icecream.

HTC has Sense and it is almost unanimously more liked than the other skins. I would even say gingerblur might be better than touchwiz. Sense is the least intrusive of the three. I would suggest Go Launcher or Launcher Pro regardless.

The only real fault of the Inspire is the battery life and speaker phone speaker. The speaker actually has been fixed with ROMS so it seems to be a software side issue which will probably be addressed. Also there are larger batteries coming out for the Inspire/Desire HD. I actually don't have a problem with the battery on my phone.

If he likes the Galaxy S line then I would recommend waiting for the Infuse. Though just from reading, the captivate left a lot of people disappointed. The only ones that have really been satisfied go through rooting, and running alternate ROMS and Kernels.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Infuse 4G
    Atrix 4G
    Inspire 4G

Thats at&t's best right now

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts

I had the inspire. It was a great phone and worked for me. I then got the infuse. Ten times better in every way. Screen is amazing. Much snappier. Battery last wayyy longer. And the new touchwiz 4.0 is not bad at all despite what people will have you believe. The infuse actually has less bloatware than the inspire did. Overall I would go with the infuse. Sense is good but touchwiz is just fine too. Plus colors and the screen look way better on the infuse. You can actually see the screen outside which was a huge problem for me and the inspire as I am outside a lot.

Sent from da infuse mon!