06-09-2011 04:52 PM
- BaconatorAC AdviserAtrix
Nexus S (not sold by AT&T)
Thrill 4G (3D and dual core)
Samsung Galaxy S II
Well I would wait for the Galaxy S II because Samsung makes really good phones, if he wants one NOW then the Atrix would be a good choice. I recommend to wait a little while to see what else will be coming to AT&T but if he doesn't then the Atrix would be good.04-07-2011 10:28 PM
The thing is, I don't like samsung phones. I have heard to many bad stories from the Captivate and they have been bad about updating their phones. Also I don't like the feeling of the plasticy phones.
As of right now you have the Atrix or Inspire. Atrix has a lot of potiental if he is into rooting and hacking once the bootloader gets unlocked. It is dual core 1ghz process. The thing is that it has Motoblur and it really makes it feel slow. I am not going to lie, it has hardware to be amazing but it drags in my brief use of it.
I got the HTC Inspire 4G. 4.3'' Super LCD screen. It may not be a AMOLED but the SLCD is nothing at all to be ashamed of. I personally think it looks better than the Captivate. I think the AMOLED over saturates colors and makes everything look fake. The SLCD looks great in my opinion and I don't think you would be missing not having a AMOLED (I don't feel like I am missing out).
It has a 1ghz new snapdragon processor. 768MB of RAM. Nice GPU. 8MP Camera with dual flash. Though it is 8MP don't think this will be replacing a decent digital camera. Also the speaker for speaker phone is a little bad and low volume. There is a fix for this if you root and ROM, but I haven't rooted my phone. Also the signal strength isn't the best but that is just with most smart phones. You can't expect to get the same strength as a dumb phone.
Also it comes with HTC Sense ROM which is in my opinion the best stock ROM you can get (not counting vanilla android). It isn't very intrusive, it is quick, and has a couple nice features.
Also, it is only $99 from AT&T ($19 via Costco). Biggest steal for a high end Android phone right now in my opinion.
If you don't mind Samsung and Touchwiz and possibly not getting an update for a year then maybe try the Samsung Infuse when it comes out. If you want something now then I highly recommend the Inspire.04-08-2011 12:08 PM
- Fascinate, Captivate, Vibrant, Epic 4G, etc are all the same phone (Galaxy-S) just on different carriers. The Fascinate is for Verizon, but at it's core it's the exact same phone as the Captivate (AT&T).
UI tweeks are different here and there according to what the carrier wants, but nothing major.04-08-2011 03:20 PM
- I have the inspire, and by far it is the best phone i have had from AT&T. Sure i use the Evo for my personal, and the inspire for my work phone. But i will have to say, based on speed and stability of the device itself (network aside) I kinda wished Sprint had the Inspire.04-08-2011 05:36 PM
Some people have had bad battery life, but from what I read everyone complains of battery life with smartphones. Mine lasts me all day and still have 20% by that night with moderate use.
TL;DR (from previous post): IMO Inspire is an amazing phone. Best buy for quality and cost.
Also here is a pic I took with the phone.
To me this is about what I would expect from a phone.04-09-2011 01:03 AM
- Ok now if you were to choose between 2 phones The Captivate or the HTC Inspire which one would you choose? I know the Captivate doesnt have a flash on the camera but you gotta have a lot of light when takin pics on the other hand the HTC is big and the battery covers are a pain to take off which one? Which one is the better deal or better yet in the long run to have.04-10-2011 12:28 AM
- BaconatorAC AdviserOk now if you were to choose between 2 phones The Captivate or the HTC Inspire which one would you choose? I know the Captivate doesnt have a flash on the camera but you gotta have a lot of light when takin pics on the other hand the HTC is big and the battery covers are a pain to take off which one? Which one is the better deal or better yet in the long run to have.04-10-2011 01:56 AM
- Well I have spent plenty of time with both and I REALLY like the big 4.3in screen on the Inspire but the captivate feels better in the hand and I like Samsung's touchwiz over Htc's sense. I prefer Samsung as a manufacturer though and I really don't like HTC. Out of those I would get the Captivate but that is just my choice. I say take your dad to the AT&T store and let him spend time with both phones, if he doesn't like either one then he should wait for the SGS2. I say wait for the SGS2 if he wants a really good phone. It's all about personal opinion.
The Captivate is already an older phone with the Atrix, Inspire, and later this year the Infuse being the current generation of android phones. It has touchwiz which is the most iphone-like manufacturer skin there is. It took forever to get froyo on the captivate (and all the other galaxy S phones). It is likely not going to get gingerbread or icecream.
HTC has Sense and it is almost unanimously more liked than the other skins. I would even say gingerblur might be better than touchwiz. Sense is the least intrusive of the three. I would suggest Go Launcher or Launcher Pro regardless.
The only real fault of the Inspire is the battery life and speaker phone speaker. The speaker actually has been fixed with ROMS so it seems to be a software side issue which will probably be addressed. Also there are larger batteries coming out for the Inspire/Desire HD. I actually don't have a problem with the battery on my phone.
If he likes the Galaxy S line then I would recommend waiting for the Infuse. Though just from reading, the captivate left a lot of people disappointed. The only ones that have really been satisfied go through rooting, and running alternate ROMS and Kernels.04-10-2011 09:07 PM
- I had the inspire. It was a great phone and worked for me. I then got the infuse. Ten times better in every way. Screen is amazing. Much snappier. Battery last wayyy longer. And the new touchwiz 4.0 is not bad at all despite what people will have you believe. The infuse actually has less bloatware than the inspire did. Overall I would go with the infuse. Sense is good but touchwiz is just fine too. Plus colors and the screen look way better on the infuse. You can actually see the screen outside which was a huge problem for me and the inspire as I am outside a lot.
Sent from da infuse mon!06-09-2011 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD