AT&T LTE Band 30 killing my Note 5 Battery Life.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung Note 5 that seems to insist finding and holding onto AT&T's lousy LTE Band 30 with its poor - 115 db signal and besides the missed and dropped calls it's killing my battery in about 9 hours. They (AT&T) should provide a way to turn this band 30 off or take my phone back. Add this poor cell signal with the fact that Samsung just makes weak poorly designed antennas and this almost $800 phone is practically worthless as a phone.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Does you phone offer you wifi calling?

Yes I do use that at home , it's when I'm out and about doing field service work that this becomes a problem. I'm not going to fight with it anymore, I had forgotten that Samsung phones do not have the best antennas when I bought this phone. It's going on ebay.

ATTKevin

Official AT&T Support
Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Yes I do use that at home , it's when I'm out and about doing field service work that this becomes a problem. I'm not going to fight with it anymore, I had forgotten that Samsung phones do not have the best antennas when I bought this phone. It's going on ebay.

I know it's been a few days since your post (I just joined these forums) and wanted to see if I can help you out!

Can you provide me with your Zip code so I can check on the towers in your area? Also, I’m going to run the issue you’re having with battery life by some of my device experts and see if they have any thoughts on that. I’ll let you know as soon as I hear more.

I hope to hear from you!

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I know it's been a few days since your post (I just joined these forums) and wanted to see if I can help you out!

Can you provide me with your Zip code so I can check on the towers in your area? Also, I’m going to run the issue you’re having with battery life by some of my device experts and see if they have any thoughts on that. I’ll let you know as soon as I hear more.

I hope to hear from you!

Hello Kevin,
Thank you for taking the time to look at this. I really never understood what the purpose of AT&T implementing band 30 was for in the first place, I've had this same problem on 2 different phones a Oneplus 3 and my AT&T branded Note 5, just sold the Note 5 because I could no longer depend on it to work as a phone. My zip code is 33907 Fort Myers, FL. The people at the AT&T store that actually have a support center couldn't figure it out, just kept giving me a new Sim card. Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of band 30, it is a high frequency band with very poor signal strength.
P. S. just for comparison, I'm now using an unlocked Honor 8 that does not have LTE band 30 at all in its radio chip, and I have no signal problems at all not with data or cell service. I'm pretty sure that band 30 is a problem here.

ATTKevin

Official AT&T Support
Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Hey PAC757!

Thanks for getting back to me!

It looks like the tower in your area has been throwing some faults on our LTE HD Voice coverage; it’s now scheduled to be fixed later today :) I think that may have been causing the issue.

Band 30 should be for LTE HD Voice coverage. It’s a relatively new band for us that we started using a short time ago. I believe the purpose was to expand more rural area coverage.

As far as the battery goes, if the coverage was weak, I could see the spotty communications between the phone and the tower causing some additional battery drain. If I find anything more specific, I’ll absolutely come back and share it.

Lastly, if you ever run into this again, please get in touch with me so I can escalate it! I’ll do everything I can to make sure everything is working great for you!

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey PAC757!

Thanks for getting back to me!

It looks like the tower in your area has been throwing some faults on our LTE HD Voice coverage; it’s now scheduled to be fixed later today :) I think that may have been causing the issue.

Band 30 should be for LTE HD Voice coverage. It’s a relatively new band for us that we started using a short time ago. I believe the purpose was to expand more rural area coverage.

As far as the battery goes, if the coverage was weak, I could see the spotty communications between the phone and the tower causing some additional battery drain. If I find anything more specific, I’ll absolutely come back and share it.

Lastly, if you ever run into this again, please get in touch with me so I can escalate it! I’ll do everything I can to make sure everything is working great for you!

Thank you very much for your time.