Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default when will we see lte?

When will att launch its lte plan with a decent phone?

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts

Don't expect that to happen until they've got T-Mobile under their belt...All AT&T keeps talking about is how they don't have any spectrum left.

Quote Originally Posted by lmc05 View Post
    Don't expect that to happen until they've got T-Mobile under their belt...All AT&T keeps talking about is how they don't have any spectrum left.
    Incorrect, sir. The T-Mobile acquisition will take about three years before you see any differences there. AT&T has already announced that they are rolling out LTE during 2012, just like HSPA+ is being unveiled now - IN LIMITED AREAS. Just because Verizon has an LTE phone out now, doesn't mean everyone has LTE. Same with the Atrix 4G and Inspire 4G. Not everyone gets it, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

It'll be about another year so before AT&T gets their act together.

Global Posts
    1,381 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CM

I though they announced that they would have select markets and a few lte devices out by the end of the year? I really don't see that holding up though.

I remember Verizon saying that they would have Lte markets launched by end of 2009, and we didn't see anything until a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by the one and only M View Post
    I though they announced that they would have select markets and a few lte devices out by the end of the year? I really don't see that holding up though.

I remember Verizon saying that they would have Lte markets launched by end of 2009, and we didn't see anything until a year later.
    Subject to change, plus that is marketing, real world is another thing. Like said above, even Verizon has very few LTE areas now, all marketing.

From what i have heard, they are looking at a full LTE Rollout to be completed in 2013.
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I talked to a guy at the AT&T store about 4G today, first he agreed with me on how AT&T screwed themselves with marketing HSPA+ as 4G. He also said that ATT was planning on releasing LTE mid 2011, but he noted that we are in mid 2011 so he said "by the end of the year"
    Devices Past to Present
    • Blackberry Bold 9000
    • HTC Aria
    • Samsung Captivate
    • Google Nexus S
    • Moto Xoom

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    ROM
    GingerBeast & CM7

lol, AT&T on LTE by 2013. Sources: Marketing.
    ANDROIDOGRAPHY
    WALLPAPERS FOR YOUR HTC INSPIRE 4G/DESIRE HD

CUSTOM ICON SET: MASHABLES
    by Homescrub

[B]I need to unroot my Inspire 4G [Thread]
    Clicking "THANKS" is the simplest and easiest way of showing appreciation.

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Some big cities in the US (New York, Chicago ect) this year.
    Devices Past to Present
    • Blackberry Bold 9000
    • HTC Aria
    • Samsung Captivate
    • Google Nexus S
    • Moto Xoom

5 markets this summer:

1. Dallas
    2. Houston
    3. Chicago
    4. Atlanta
    5. San Antonio

And supposedly 12 by the end of 2011.

Source: AT&T’s 4G Evolution to LTE
    Last edited by NMherron; 06-20-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Global Posts
    451 Global Posts

Default Re: when will we see lte?

How will AT&T market LTE? They already have "4G."

Default Re: when will we see lte?

Quote Originally Posted by jahoobob View Post
    How will AT&T market LTE? They already have "4G."
    Great question. I've wondered that myself. I assume they will call it "4G LTE." I think this is all going to backfire on AT&T though. Calling HSPA+ as 4G was a mistake for them since they are rolling out LTE back to back.

I keep talking about on message boards about how AT&T customers who bought what were called 4G devices, will not be able to use the LTE. They are going to be really angry to be locked into a 2 year contract with a device that won't run LTE. And if you bought late devices like the Atrix or Infuse, it's going to be very understandable that these people get pissed off.

AT&T will need to offer free upgrades (just pay the contract price for the new LTE device) for these customers to prevent a holy uproar.