Looking for a simple text-display App

L_Molotov

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm not really sure if this is the right place to be asking, but I'm looking for an App that will serve a specific function.

I need something that can display a simple line of text or two in a large font, on a plain background. I have a pretty severe speak impediment -- normally, I can get my point across when I'm talking to someone, but in some cases (if the person I'm speaking to is hard of hearing, for example) it's easier just to write out what I want to say. I carry around a notepad for just that purpose, but since I bought this tablet I've been hoping that I can use it instead.

Problem is, I can't find an App that can do what I need without a bunch of useless extra features, bizarre decoration, or multiple menus that I need to click through before I can start writing out the message. In theory, I could use almost any word-processor to do it, but then the text would be pretty small and I would need to hold the tablet right up to the person's face so they could read it.

So, has anyone noticed an App lying around that will just display text on a plain background?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Here you go... It seems this can do what you're looking for. As to how easy it is to write the text and have it appear on your screen during a conversation, that's up to you to decide. In most Note-taking or Word-processing apps you can just pinch-to-zoom into the text, thus making it fit the screen at will...

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.socialnmobile.hd.flashlight&token=-VVuYRrR

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...o.dkit.android.ledscrollerfull&token=bGnERNlW

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=makino.android.denkou&token=rRHnO-hW

L_Molotov

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
That flashlight App looks interesting, but I'm not sure it really fits the bill. =P
I've tried out the scrolling LED sign apps... They work for very short (3-4 words) messages, but I usually need a least a full sentence or two to properly convey the message. They're kind of hard to read, too -- especially when they keep scrolling.

You might have a point about the pinch-to-zoom. My only real concern with it is that any unnecessary delay can be troublesome when you're trying to converse to someone in writing. I already feel awkward forcing people to wait for me to pull out my notepad in order to write something down, and every step between "turn on the tablet" and "show them the message" is just making it worse. Still, it's worth a shot -- I'll give that a try when I have a chance!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You could try the Google Translate app. Sure, you won't really be translating, but the text you write in English (or the Language you speak) can be 'spoken' by the phone, just hit the 'Talk' button.

Or download a Notepad-like app where you can draw instead of typing; that way you can write in as huge letters as you want just as if you were doing it in in the paper equivalent.

L_Molotov

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I ended up testing the Google Translate app -- it works fairly well. Might be worth investing in a more specialized text-to-speech app. It's a pity that I can't seem to find one that fits my original concept. Such a simple idea, it's hard to believe that no-one has ever actually done it. Anyway, I'll continue to explore these options... thanks for the input! ^-^

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, there you go! If there's a need for such app, code one and sell it in Google Play :) Can't code? Get someone else to do it and take a hefty piece of the profits. Sure, you won't become a millionaire (or maybe you will, you never know) but it's always fun to come up with a solution for a common need. :)

Ben B2

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
I know this post was written years ago, but I have a similar problem and found the app "emBiggen" to do exactly what you described. A deaf guy in a bar showed it to me once and I've been using it ever since.