I'm just starting with Android and having trouble with the picture gallery. It appears the google gallery sorts the pictures in a folder by modified date; however, I don't want the pictures sorted at all. If they must be sorted, it would be by file name.

All I really want in the gallery ap is a listing of the folders (or albums), a grid or listing showing the pictures in the folder in file name order, and a way to scroll though the pictures. I do not want the gallery ap to change any of the pictures in any folder.

Is there any way to make the google gallery do this, or if not, is there a simple ap I could use.

I'm using a Dell Venue 8 running Android 4.2.2.

Thanks
    12-29-2013 06:15 PM
    I'm just starting with Android and having trouble with the picture gallery. It appears the google gallery sorts the pictures in a folder by modified date; however, I don't want the pictures sorted at all. If they must be sorted, it would be by file name.

All I really want in the gallery ap is a listing of the folders (or albums), a grid or listing showing the pictures in the folder in file name order, and a way to scroll though the pictures. I do not want the gallery ap to change any of the pictures in any folder.

Is there any way to make the google gallery do this, or if not, is there a simple ap I could use.

I'm using a Dell Venue 8 running Android 4.2.2.

Thanks
    Welcome to the forums and Android!
    Is there an option in Menu?
    12-31-2013 11:04 AM
    I recommend installing QuickPic from the Play Store.
    It is a free Gallery replacement that has multiple options for sorting.
    10 million downloads, 4.7 rating, and no risky permissions. You can't go wrong with it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    gatraveler and GuccizBud like this.
    12-31-2013 03:48 PM
    There's no option in the menu, but the following reply suggested Quick Pic which does what I want.
    Thanks for the help.
    01-01-2014 11:02 AM
    I installed Quick Pic and it did what I want. Thanks for the help.
    01-01-2014 11:03 AM
    Nice Simple Photo Widget is the answer!
    I just spent hours programming and editing the pictures I wanted in the order I wanted but was unsuccessful =(
    Good luck!
    12-19-2014 09:10 PM
    Thanks. You saved my day. I was getting frustrated and QuickPic got the job done!
    04-03-2015 12:47 PM
    QuickPic is what Gallery should have been: It gives the option of displaying thumbnails in a grid or matrix (like Gallery), or as a list, with the file name next to each thumbnail.

Sort options include name, date, taken date, and size. If you select the same sort a second time, it reverses the order.

The "taken date" option presumably works on the Exif metadata stored in JPEG files by digital cameras, which may not be present in PNG files or JPEG files that were created in a graphics editor.

Unfortunately, it also pushes a backup service called "CM Cloud", but if you don't want it, that can be disabled with a long press and menu selection from QuickPic's main screen.
    11-11-2015 03:23 PM
    Thumbs up to #kernmal for the much appreciated suggestion below ፡

 〝 I recommend installing
       QuickPic from the Play
       Store.
                  〞

Unbelievable that you actually can't do a mindlessly simple thing like sort the pictures within an album/folder BY NAME in the stock Gallery app, but it's so. I have 7 pictures I took which show an object from 7 angles, progressing around it so you get a complete 360° view, and named each one FILENAME 01, FILENAME 02, etc., 'til FILENAME 07, and couldn't believe I couldn't get them to appear sequentially that way in Gallery. But it's so. And Quick Pic is the fix. Goodbye Gallery.

Many thanks #kernmal.
    02-02-2016 01:51 PM
    Downloading and installing QuickPic from the Play Store was the best information I received this week. HTC's Gallery and Zoe are horrible. Within seconds after installing QuickPic, I could display my photos in my selected sequence order. How could HTC be so far off the mark? Thank you!
    06-06-2016 12:45 AM