Is there a sight-reading/music theory app that you can use with a physical keyboard/piano?

Rose Richards

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Is there a sight-reading/music theory app that you can use with a physical keyboard/piano?

I apologize if my question is confusing, but this is what I'm looking for in a nutshell: I'd like an app that allows me to practice sight reading and/or music theory skills (scales, chords, intervals, etc) by playing my keyboard. I do NOT want an app that relies on an on-screen keyboard. (It's fine if the app has one, but I really need to be able to use my REAL keyboard with the app.) Reason being that I'm trying to develop the muscle memory as well as train my ear, and playing a touchscreen piano will not help me at all with gaining muscle memory for a physical keyboard. Ideally, I'd like an app that gives you a note, interval, chord, scale, etc. and asks you to play it back on your keyboard.

Does anything like this exist? I have spent hours downloading countless piano apps and music theory apps and have yet to find something like this.

On a related note: do any of you have any other recommendations as far as music theory / ear training / sight reading apps go? I'm mostly interested in free apps, but I'm willing to pay for one if it's really good.

I would REALLY appreciate your help!!

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

I apologize if my question is confusing, but this is what I'm looking for in a nutshell: I'd like an app that allows me to practice sight reading and/or music theory skills (scales, chords, intervals, etc) by playing my keyboard. I do NOT want an app that relies on an on-screen keyboard. (It's fine if the app has one, but I really need to be able to use my REAL keyboard with the app.) Reason being that I'm trying to develop the muscle memory as well as train my ear, and playing a touchscreen piano will not help me at all with gaining muscle memory for a physical keyboard. Ideally, I'd like an app that gives you a note, interval, chord, scale, etc. and asks you to play it back on your keyboard.

Does anything like this exist? I have spent hours downloading countless piano apps and music theory apps and have yet to find something like this.

On a related note: do any of you have any other recommendations as far as music theory / ear training / sight reading apps go? I'm mostly interested in free apps, but I'm willing to pay for one if it's really good.

I would REALLY appreciate your help!!
I'm not really sure if this will help, but I am trying:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nadsoft.musictheorylessonsfree

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.subibot.intervals&token=xW6HfuX8

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.eightbitmaestro.musictheory&token=JJKWlstV

Robert Kay

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
There are a couple of great new apps out for music theory
Music Theory lite for ABRSM
and Music Theory PRO for ABRSM the first is free but the second is worth the £1.30 - very comprehensive and has good reviews.

For ear training there's the E Aural Trainer for ABRSM

All these apps seemed designed with the ABRSM music exams in mind - but a great resource for anyone interested in music theory and aural training.

Because Im a newbie on this forum it wont let me post links - sorry.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2