Looking for Android equivalent to papers for iOS

Therion11

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi Folks

As I detest not having control over my computing environment I picked android over iOS and am looking for something to manage a library of PDF research papers.

Ideally I would like one that could be used with my university's proxy server or dropbox (or another cloud storage service) integration. At the moment though, I'm just using the Adobe PDF reader and it's functional but makes managing any sort of library a huge pain and I've had to limit the amount of files I keep because of it.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

os2baba

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I had never heard of this so I took a quick look at Papers for iOS and from a quick glance, it seems to be an app that catalogs documents and provides search capability. If you need the search capability than you are really going to need an app that does that. Looks like this one does - Free reference manager and PDF organizer | Mendeley. But it's not yet available for Android and doesn't look like it's going to released until much later this year. But if it's just cataloging, I wonder is using something like SolidExplorer with Dropbox work as a poor man's substitute? Or some of the generic cataloging apps like https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...eonlabs.android.droidcatalogue&token=AkpB5Cly. Or perhaps I'm being naive and didn't really understand what you were looking for.

Edit: I use ezPDF Reader https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../details?id=udk.android.reader&token=uKNMKE3G I don't think it's got any cataloging capability, but if you read a lot of PDFs, you may find some of its more advanced features useful.

Therion11

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Mendeley is basically what I'm looking for but as you mentioned its not available on android, yet. Drop box integration with a file explorer wouldn't be ideal as the limited space would prove a pain. I might have to use that though until an android version of mendeley is released.

Thanks!

os2baba

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I realized that after reading up on what research and bibliography software does. Another software that may be what you could use, but is not yet available is Readcube. Download ReadCube Desktop You may perhaps see if you can get in their beta program.

Gbuch

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Mendeley isn't available, but there are some unofficial versions that should work. Check Scholarley and Referey

biohaznerd

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I hope that Papers will soon come up with an Android version, since they were actively seeking an Android developer some months ago. I would love to be able to sync quickly and easily. For the time being, I transfer the papers I want to read by Bluetooth, mark them with ezPDF and save them in a 'to send' folder to send them back to the computer and incorporate them into Papers again. A bit cumbersome, but for me the best solution at the moment.

Yohan Farouz

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I had the same problem as you: I wanted my 2000+ papers listed and sorted on my Android. I tried switching from Papers to Mendeley, but it messed everything up.
In the end, I chose to develop my own app that actually downloads the Papers library that is stored on Dropbox.
You can check it out on the Google Play Store: it is called EZPaperz !

Hope you'll like it.
Any feedback is more than welcome.
Spread the word ;)