Can't Save Offline Google Maps

happycharmtropical

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm going on a trip to Japan soon, and I'm trying to save offline google maps.

Most importantly, I'm trying to save instructions / routes. I'll be biking and using the subways so I really need detailed routes.

I googled and found this, the latest instructions I could find:

Make sure you're connected to the Internet and signed in to your Google account.
Open the Google Maps app maps.
Search for a place, like "San Francisco."
At the bottom, touch the bar that has the name of the place you searched.
In the upper right, touch the menu three vertical dots.
To save the map, select Save offline map. And follow the directions on the screen.
To view your offline map, see the directions for viewing your saved maps below.

But when I click the three vertical dots it gives me a checklist with the following options:
Public Transit
Satellite
Terrain

I found on the Play Store there's another Google app called "My Maps" but it seems like such a useless app. I can't make any routes at all, let alone download an offline map. Whenever I click something it usually just directs me back to Google's "Map" app. What's the point?

What's important is that I can get public transportation information.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) Version 8.2.0 of Maps, when you touch the name of the place, brings up a popup with the name, Route, Save, Share, some pictures and Save maps to use offline. If they "updated" that away, find an earlier version. If you're running an earlier version, update.

2) My Maps doesn't save routes, it saves locations. It does for Maps what Contacts does for phone calls. Once you have a location set up, you just run MyMaps, find the location (by name), tap it, navigate to it, and Maps runs, set up to give you turn-by-turn to that location. (That facility should really be part of Maps, but I guess no one at Google ever actually had to use Maps do no one thought of it.)

happycharmtropical

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I see everything you said EXCEPT save maps to use offline. How do I find the version I have? When I opened the app this morning, it told me to update it so I did. This is the first time I've used the app on this tablet, thus why it updated. How can I downgrade it?

This is so frustrating. I'm considering going old school and printing everything.

Kleine_Zuster

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm very curious what you've used in Japan. Because I have the same problem right now; Google maps doesnt work offline in Japan (not available). I've tried a lot of offline map apps, but they are all very inconvenient in Japan (because of the Japanese characters)

kmailarry

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Use mapme instead it's free and in the store free download your country and other maps free too. Can use totally offline no WiFi or 3g needed and has excellent voice navigation too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance