Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default App request thread - What tablet apps do people want?

I was recently reading about how there aren't that many apps that are optimized for tablets. However most of my own needs have been met, for example office apps, music players, file managers, etc all exist. True there isn't much selection, but I can get most things done with what exists already.

However I was curious what people are looking for that doesn't exist right now. What do you need do get done with your tablet that you can't do with current apps?

Definitely Netflix, Hulu Plus and HBO GO. So far only available on select devices. Supposedly all due to DRM issues though, not hardware incompatibilities or anything like that.

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android

Default Re: App request thread - What tablet apps do people want?

Netflix!!

After that maybe a tablet optimized Facebook app but Google+ is right around the corner so I don't care so much about that anymore.

There is a tablet-optimized Facebook app (Friend Me; it's not perfect but it's pretty good.) Another is in the works (FriendCaster.)

I'd like to think that a tablet-optimized version of G+ is in the works (if not from Google from someone else) but we'll see how much time that takes. A tablet-optimized social network aggregator (say, TweetDeck) that adds G+ support and includes tablet-friendly widgets would be awesome.

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

wireless tether app. The only people able to consistently are droid x owners via BT. Apps that support multiple profiles for people sharing the same tablet.

Video skype.
    Its highly likely that this message was sent via my Acer A500 tablet

Blackberry 7250> Blackberry 8703e> Blackberry 9530 "storm"> HTC Thunderbolt/ Acer A500 Tablet

Global Posts
    2,043 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I second Skype. And netflix.

I am looking for an app like where i can share all my desktop files to android mobile.

I don't think the requirements of people would have changed with the arrival of tablet pcs. The most common apps people use are for stocks, health, and other related issues.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    ROM
    ics-deck w/ Mason v0.14

Off the top of my head: Skype, Grooveshark (which I was told was coming soon-ish), official Facebook and Twitter apps

1) Skype to work with VIDEO!
    2) Netflix
    3) SiriusXM
    4) Facebook

T6Config with comport usb adapter driver. Here is a link. It should be an EASY IMPORT.
    This is to configure a computerized radio control transmitter at the remote fly site far from the practical use of a full size PC for such a small little app.

Here is the link to the program.

A change to apps that need phone number and GPS. Some tablets are wifi only. We could also use Market and have Market recognize device.

you should make a google docs app...a real one. I use my google docs account (along with a program called insync for my mac) as a dropbox alternative. the problem with the stock app is that I cant download any files from it which is very stupid. I have so many ideas for this app. you can contact me on tablified.com if you want more suggestions...i have tons!

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.2.2 GingerBlur root

I would love to see, and would pay for, a good agenda that mixes mail, notes, calendar, etc... I like to one that came with the acer a100 but its date/time/weather cant be modified.

It would make an excellent widget
    Art
    Was -Pilot-Rex6000-Zaurus-
    Treo 650-BB 8100,9000,9800
    Is - Mot ATRIX - Acer Iconia A100

Looking for 3 tablet apps.

1) Looking for a very simple photo sorting app, to help me sort large volumes of photos into neat categories. Basically, it would feature a normal image browser that lets me slide left and right to change pictures, but it would also have a simple overlay on the bottom or side with 4-6 user created categories and a delete button. Touching the category would move that photo to the folder associated with the category simply with no confirmation, and automatically move to the next image. If delete is pressed, the file is deleted (Or moved to a temporary "trash can" type folder that is emptied upon user request or at the end of the sorting session) and the next picture is displayed. The idea here is to be a very quick, single touch commands with no extra confirmation steps. To accommodate a larger amount of sort categories, they could be tree based. IE, a Sports category button could open 4 or 5 Specific sports related categories.

Also, if a photo is moved to a category folder with a duplicate name, both images should be displayed side by side with very basic file information (perhaps simply the image resolution), for simple verification of duplicates, an option of which file to keep and which to delete if they are duplicates (the resolution information helps you select the best quality one to keep), and the option to append a few random characters to the filename if they are not duplicates, and continue with the file move operation.

All of this needs to be simple and fast - other apps exist for this type of categorization, but it involves far too much slow navigation through menus and unnecessary confirmation steps. What I desire is for 95% of this process to be simply tapping the category, next image comes up, tap category, next image, don't like this one - tap delete, next image comes up.. etc. etc. The only time I get a popup is when a duplicate filename is found. I don't know how fast the files can actually be moved to the category folders, and hopefully that would be handled in the background without slowing down the sorting process. If it would significantly impact performance, perhaps instead of actually moving the files - it just makes a log of what needs to be moved, then every 500 or 1000 pictures you could press the "make it so" button, and it processes the log of needed file moves.

2) I want a typical virtual piano app that lets me assign an audio file for each key, for simple multi-sample playback. Extra points if it is able to stretch that audio sample across a few keys, playing back at the correct pitch.

3) I am looking for a music notation app that lets me write down simple melodic or harmonic ideas for composing. Something similar to the "simple note entry" method in Finale - select the note length, plus any accidentals, dots, or ties from a grid type menu and tap the note on the staff where I want to add it. I don't need a great deal of complexity, though some simple automation for barlines, spacing, and zooming in and out on a handful of staves would be needed. Extra bonus points if it can playback using midi.

I know there are iPad apps for music notation and custom sample based keyboards, but Android is seriously lacking in this department.

Global Posts
    690 Global Posts

I would like to see an app the let's you initiate a call via bluetooth from my tablet and also see who is callling connected to my phone like the Pre 3 was capable of. This is such old technology that my Palm Tungsten did it with my Sony Ericsson many years ago when bluetooth first came out.

I would like a web browser that doesn't make my fios feel like dial up.

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

I would love to see an app that would allow my tablet to play with my home Windows Media Center setup. I make backup copies of all my movies in their original format (vob files) and they play perfectly on all my Windows boxes with Media Center. My Android devices (HTC EVO 3D and Acer Iconia a500) have nice network media browsing capabilities but don't support vob or iso playback. I dont want to convert all my movies to mp4 files just so they'll play on my mobile devices. If there was an app to bridge this gap I bet peoploe would pay good $ to have it!
    -Stay thirsty my friends.

ROM
    IHO CM7.2, Honeycomb

HBO GO. I would've thought they'd make it available for tablets before phones. Who wants to watch videos on a four inch screen when they have a 8-10 inch screen on their tablet?

A good tower defense app for tablets, preferably Tower Madness but they seem as if it's not important enough to even plan on making an android version according to their tweet. Foolish with how many android devices there are.

Netflix

SiriusXM app. You'd think they'd make it for tablets since they do for phones and the iPad, but nope.

Amazon Instant Videos
    Last edited by r3gul8or; 12-28-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Looks like this topic is dead, but maybe it has a breath of life left, so I'll check. So, adding my two cents,

My wish isn't for an app per-se, but a way of dealing with apps that assume you're running on phone. I've come across so many apps that make this assumption in various ways, e.g., by using a fixed-size tiny font, by forcing portrait orientation, and a bunch of other things which I'm sure you all have experienced.

I'm not wishing for a tablet-specific UI, just a way to make apps at least somewhat usable on a tablet. So, for example, let's talk about small font sizes. A lot of apps lack basic font-size controls, including Google's own Google Plus. The text is tiny. And scaling up in compatibility mode stinks, because everything gets ridiculously pixellated. So, how about either a font-size changer (for the app, not a global one, since I have other apps which do things right which I don't want to break), or an intermediate zoom level for compatibility view. Doesn't seen too much to ask, does it?

- ems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast