Just got my Fascinate....now what..lol

sdmf

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey All, Just got my phone. Coming from iPhone. Holy Options and Settings Batman!

Need to get a case fast, phone I find very slippery. But that could just be my sweaty palms from excitement like a 5 year old. NERD.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some sort of info for a first time android user. Ie. Here's easy ways to do this that and this etc. I'll continue digging around but thought I would at least ask.

On that note Im also trying to update to 2.2 through this "kies" thingy. Phone is plugged into USB on PC, software/drivers installed etc, but when I try to update, i get a message on the PC saying something like theres "not enough battery power, charge phone and try again etc"

Battery is charging and currently at 50%

Any thoughts?
TIA

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Fully charge the phone. I guess since the update is power intensive, you need more than 50%. And just download some apps man. vlingo is a good replacement for google voice service. Tapatalk for the forums...

Sent From Tapatalk.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there. Welcome for to the forums.

You need at least to have 60-70 charge on your battery before updating your fascinate.

As for cases I have the case mate tough case which I got from Bell. Bell has a lot more cases than Telus due to the Bell Vibrant. ;)

sdmf

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey friends. Thanks for the info. I suspected that it just needed a bit more Juice. Tried again and updated to 2.2 no probs. I wanted to get that done first before I messed around with the phone settings too much etc just in case.

ANyways, I'll start getting some apps etc. Then probably next week look into rooting ;)

Tried to get Tapatalk, but see it costs 2.99 or something like that. I had this on the iCrap...I mean iPhone and used it all the time. Great App, but it was free on Iphone. Am I missing something or should I just not be so cheap..lol

sdmf

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
As for cases I have the case mate tough case which I got from Bell. Bell has a lot more cases than Telus due to the Bell Vibrant. ;)

How do you find this case? I have leather seats in my car, wondering if the case is "sticky" enough to not slip around on the seat too much.

Also what about protection...are you still afraid of dropping the phone or ...

thanks in advance

Rabid_Gypsy

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Just a word of caution. Don't buy any Fascinate cases at Best Buy / Future Shop. They have Fascinate specific cases, but they are for the Verizon version. You have to stick with Vibrant cases at both stores. I have bought 2 cases on ebay now, total of $8 after shipping and got a TPS case and a hard plastic one.

sdmf

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Just a word of caution. Don't buy any Fascinate cases at Best Buy / Future Shop. They have Fascinate specific cases, but they are for the Verizon version. You have to stick with Vibrant cases at both stores. I have bought 2 cases on ebay now, total of $8 after shipping and got a TPS case and a hard plastic one.

Was just thinking of this. However, doesnt the vibrant have the different home buttons? Or perhaps this wont matter because the case (whichever one) doesnt cover the home buttons....

Im just looking for a tough silicone case or at least partially silicone. For my Iphone I had this case called the roots toughskin, and I cant count how many times I dropped the phone at a high speed walk, on concrete floors and driveways. Each time the phone went flying between 5-10 feet and NEVER any harm. If I could find one similar to this I would go for it.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
How do you find this case? I have leather seats in my car, wondering if the case is "sticky" enough to not slip around on the seat too much.

Also what about protection...are you still afraid of dropping the phone or ...

thanks in advance

I was in the same situation, I need a good case for my fascinate. I know that the vibrant and fascinate have same dimensions and button layout. So I started looking at Bell cases.

As for the case it self, I like it a lot. I was on an escalator once and a kid knocked my phone off my hand. It fell a couple of steps down, but my phone is okay. To me it offers good protection and it offers a good grip for your device. Also the case itself is thin enough that it I can still slip my phone in my pocket. The bad thing is that if you put the phone on a smooth hard surface it will slide around. :eek: And it does not come with a holster (I am in the hunt for one). The case comes with an adhesive screen protector. Just be aware that there will be a big rectangular hole near the bottom, that is for the Vibrant's physical button.

sdmf

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Great thanks for.the info do you mind me asking.how much you paid for the case and from where? (i assume the bell store or FS/bestbuy?)

I figure maybe if its cheap enough ill get it for the short term until i find something perfect...unless im satisfied

To prevent sliding i wonder if we could get a couple strips of grippy rubber and temporarily stick them to the back with some sort of temp adhesive or even velcro....who knows just an idea

Ps sorry for spelling need to get used to this keyboard

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Great thanks for.the info do you mind me asking.how much you paid for the case and from where? (i assume the bell store or FS/bestbuy?)

I figure maybe if its cheap enough ill get it for the short term until i find something perfect...unless im satisfied

To prevent sliding i wonder if we could get a couple strips of grippy rubber and temporarily stick them to the back with some sort of temp adhesive or even velcro....who knows just an idea

Ps sorry for spelling need to get used to this keyboard

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

I got it from a bell store and it was around $50 taxes included. Not cheap but it was almost the same price if I got from ebay (shipping fees) or directly from case mate. The rubberr thing is a good idea, I might try it myself.

Xaroc

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Also need a little help

Hey, I picked up my Galaxy S Fascinate about 3 weeks ago (Telus) and I been looking around for charging docks, but all i can find is ones for the Vibrant and Verizon fascinate. I was looking at pictures and they look slightly different from mine, but on a tiny bit. my question is will my Telus Fascinate fit on the verizon fascinate Charging dock? i want to buy one online, but i dont want to deal with the hassle of trying to return it if it doesnt fit

Edit: P.S Yes i have checked my local Telus store, and Bestbuy/Futureshop. none are offered for my model or even in Canada for that matter.

Last edited:

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I picked up my Galaxy S Fascinate about 3 weeks ago (Telus) and I been looking around for charging docks, but all i can find is ones for the Vibrant and Verizon fascinate. I was looking at pictures and they look slightly different from mine, but on a tiny bit. my question is will my Telus Fascinate fit on the verizon fascinate Charging dock? i want to buy one online, but i dont want to deal with the hassle of trying to return it if it doesnt fit

Edit: P.S Yes i have checked my local Telus store, and Bestbuy/Futureshop. none are offered for my model or even in Canada for that matter.

I don't think so, the Verizon Fascinate and Telus Fasicinate have diffrent shapes. The Verizon's model has a flat back, while the Telus's version have the reverse "chin". Have a look at T-Mobile Vibrant instead, since it has the same physical shape as the Telus Fascinate.

tripplec

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Totally different.

The forums on the Fascinate and Galaxy models were separated for a very good reason. Peps been applying software to the wrong models.

The TELUS FASCINATE is NOT, I REPEAT NOT the same as any other Fascinate. Inside or outside PERIOD. So if you're looking for something for it be sure its clearly specified that its for that model T959D or it won't work or BRICK you phone.

If you're after batteries go by the OEM part number on the battery or make certain the seller know and specifies you model. The Name means nothing, go it nothing. Is that all clear...I have been reading threads for two weeks now and there are more screwed up phones as a result of you-all not reading and checking.

They are as different as HUMMER is to Ford ESCAPE!!

andyha

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
tripplec;515706 I have been reading threads for two weeks now and there are more screwed up phones as a result of you-all not reading and checking. [/QUOTE said:
I appreciate your help and I can only speak on my behalf. The reason I am asking a compatibility question is because I do realize that there are differences and also have been reading these forums carefully. On the other hand, I do understand your frustration.

Thanks!

tripplec

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate your help and I can only speak on my behalf. The reason I am asking a compatibility question is because I do realize that there are differences and also have been reading these forums carefully. On the other hand, I do understand your frustration.

Thanks!
No problem, I am not frustrated I am well aware of the differences. It just them means nothing. I am very clear on what the Telus Fascinate is as I have one for just over a week now.

Enjoy.

Xaroc

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The forums on the Fascinate and Galaxy models were separated for a very good reason. Peps been applying software to the wrong models.

The TELUS FASCINATE is NOT, I REPEAT NOT the same as any other Fascinate. Inside or outside PERIOD. So if you're looking for something for it be sure its clearly specified that its for that model T959D or it won't work or BRICK you phone.

If you're after batteries go by the OEM part number on the battery or make certain the seller know and specifies you model. The Name means nothing, go it nothing. Is that all clear...I have been reading threads for two weeks now and there are more screwed up phones as a result of you-all not reading and checking.

They are as different as HUMMER is to Ford ESCAPE!!

"there are more screwed up phones as a result of you-all not reading and checking."

you think maybe thats why im asking? this is me reading and checking lol

not everyone is stupid, so I dont think you should say things like "is that all clear?" because it makes you sound like a prick... I REAPEAT, a prick PERIOD! thanks for the help non the less.

I know that batteries can be dodgy, but i was not asking about those. i was asking about charging docks, the power output is normally the same, its just a fact of will it fit your phone. (when it comes to the same companies and such)

(if you were offended by this is any way, it was not my intent, just hate it when people come off as being rude to those asking a simple question)

Last edited:

tripplec

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
"there are more screwed up phones as a result of you-all not reading and checking."

you think maybe thats why im asking? this is me reading and checking lol

not everyone is stupid, so I dont think you should say things like "is that all clear?" because it makes you sound like a prick... I REAPEAT, a prick PERIOD! thanks for the help non the less.

I know that batteries can be dodgy, but i was not asking about those. i was asking about charging docks, the power output is normally the same, its just a fact of will it fit your phone. (when it comes to the same companies and such)

(if you were offended by this is any way, it was not my intent, just hate it when people come off as being rude to those asking a simple question)

Heh whatever you think man. But I have read so many that have flashed the wrong firmware to the wrong phone then duuuuh. It hits home they screwed up. If I have saved a few bricked phones and agro for a few of the users since Verizon and others seem to be mixed in the same formus here and others. But I am what I am and nothing personal I just picked up on questions when it was evident they were not not the same phone.

Cheers and enjoy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy