SD Micro cards

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Are there any SD Micro cards we should avoid for our 2013 S4's? I bought mine in Mid-November (2013). Love the phone. Haven't gotten around to buying an SD Micro card for my 16GB phone. Would any "SD MicroXC or Micro HC" work? Basically anything found on www.amazon.ca? What would you recommend for recording HD video and 13MP photos. MP3 files.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums.
Samsungs are kind of hit and miss with SDXC cards. SDHC cards tend to work better. I actually would suggest taking the videos and having them recorded to your internal storage and them move them later.

anon(8278816)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
For Christmas I picked up a 16GB SanDisk Extreme microSDHC cause the transfer rates are a bit better. Up to 30 MB/s write and 45 MB/s read. All is working well so far. Put a good bunch of music on it quickly. I was impressed. Time will tell now.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

AGC8

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I ordered a SanDisk 32GB HC card yesterday. Hope it arrives soon soi can take more photos and later I can load some M P 3 files.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a SanDisk 32GB HC card yesterday. Hope it arrives soon soi can take more photos and later I can load some M P 3 files.

I would make one suggestion. Set some kind of interval, say every 2 weeks, and unmount the card from the phone in Settings>storage, insert into your PC, and copy/paste.
What this does is gets you in the habit of making backups, so in the event that the card fails, the worst you are out is 2 weeks of photos.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

AGC8

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Are all cards so unreliable? I've yet to have problems with my CF and SD cards for my cameras. Using brands like Lexat and SanDisk. Is it just the format? Micro SD cards.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Are all cards so unreliable? I've yet to have problems with my CF and SD cards for my cameras. Using brands like Lexat and SanDisk. Is it just the format? Micro SD cards.

I think it's Samsung has buggy software when it comes to the cards. I have not had a problem with any cards in the past 3 years, not using any Samsung devices

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

AGC8

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Well my Transcend 32GB Micro SD HC card is coming later this week. Will soon find out how my S4 is with this card.

You would think Samsung would have done something about it if it is their software. Do other brands have the same issue? Otherwise I really like this phone.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Well my Transcend 32GB Micro SD HC card is coming later this week. Will soon find out how my S4 is with this card.

You would think Samsung would have done something about it if it is their software. Do other brands have the same issue? Otherwise I really like this phone.

Knock wood, I haven't had a problem with 3 lg phones (2 of which are only a feature phone) and a Kyocera so far. And I haven't seen a lot of users with Sony or Motorola phones having any problems. Samsung can be bad with cards, but you may have no problems.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

anon(8278816)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I used a 4GB SanDisk card in my S4 for about 4 months, no problems. Just ended up being too small

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's not really the software, well, it is, but its more forcing the OS, that no longer supports SD cards, to accept one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

AGC8

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The OS being Jelly Bean 4.3? As others have said they think it's more Samsung's software. Not sure what it is but this shouldn't be an issue for any Android phone.

If you can use almost any card on any camera without problems....

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The OS being Jelly Bean 4.3? As others have said they think it's more Samsung's software. Not sure what it is but this shouldn't be an issue for any Android phone.

If you can use almost any card on any camera without problems....

The OS being 4.0.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

SAVAGE420

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Been using this 64gig card since the first week I got this phone in the summer. Haven't had any problems what so ever. Popped it in and forgetaboutit.
Come with an adapter as well. Snagged it for $30. Couldn't go wrong.
a2a9y5uv.jpg

Sent from my shed.