Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    959 Global Posts

    Default GPS Constantly Searching and Lagging out S4 since KitKat 4.4.2 Update

    Is anyone else experiencing this? It's constantly searching for a signal, and in doing so is lagging out the phone to the point where I can't use it
    and am forced to shut of GPS. I have never had an issue with GPS until this update.
    I also had to use GPS shortly after the update so I turned it on for Navigation purposes. I noticed that when I got back in my truck my phone was 100% dead. Off, no power, nothing I could
    do to turn it back on, finally did a battery pull and it worked. I am guessing it's caused again by the GPS because I have turned if off and left it off since then, and it's been fine.

    Anyone else having this issue? Someone on AT&T posted the same issue. So at least I am not the only one, or only carrier.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  2. #2  

    Default Re: GPS Constantly Searching and Lagging out S4 since KitKat 4.4.2 Update

    I am also with Telus & am/was having the same issues... I think i found a (temporary?) fix for mine. It seems the GPS issue was due to the "Transparent Clock & Weather" widget making it go crazy.. i deleted it & re-installed it. You'll need to set your own location. That should solve the GPS issue.
    Thanked by:
    mhinc 
  3. #3  

    Default Re: GPS Constantly Searching and Lagging out S4 since KitKat 4.4.2 Update

    Did that fix anything for you??

    Also I'm using the S-View cover...and before the update, if u pressed the home screen the info in the window would appear..now the home screen button does nothing.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    959 Global Posts

    Default Re: GPS Constantly Searching and Lagging out S4 since KitKat 4.4.2 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardHewlett View Post
    Did that fix anything for you??

    Also I'm using the S-View cover...and before the update, if u pressed the home screen the info in the window would appear..now the home screen button does nothing.
    Hmmm I do use Transparent weather. Shoudln't have to reinstall, should be fine if I just stop it from auto location. Going to try now.
    As for your home button, mine works fine? That's odd
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    959 Global Posts

    Default Re: GPS Constantly Searching and Lagging out S4 since KitKat 4.4.2 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardHewlett View Post
    I am also with Telus & am/was having the same issues... I think i found a (temporary?) fix for mine. It seems the GPS issue was due to the "Transparent Clock & Weather" widget making it go crazy.. i deleted it & re-installed it. You'll need to set your own location. That should solve the GPS issue.
    Looks like it did the job. I didn't have to reinstall it though, just turned off GPS Location. And it was fine. It can't still find my location without GPS so I am all good, could care less if it doesn't use GPS!
    Thanks Ricard! Sometimes things are so simple I should have noticed this!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  6. #6  
    rugmankc's Avatar

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

    Default Re: GPS Constantly Searching and Lagging out S4 since KitKat 4.4.2 Update

    I know this is a semi old thread, but Richard's suggestion worked for me too. Tried different roms and radios, no luck. Didn't want to reformat my cards.

    Funny as I have used the clock for quite awhile and had checked GPS. Maybe something changed.


    Thanks again, saved me further grief today--


    Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; Nexus One-Rooted, HTC One S rooted, Samsung Galaxy S4 rooted; Carrier AT&T--
  7. #7  

    Default Re: GPS Constantly Searching and Lagging out S4 since KitKat 4.4.2 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by rugmankc View Post
    I know this is a semi old thread, but Richard's suggestion worked for me too. Tried different roms and radios, no luck. Didn't want to reformat my cards.

    Funny as I have used the clock for quite awhile and had checked GPS. Maybe something changed.


    Thanks again, saved me further grief today--


    Ken

    how do i delete Transparent Clock & Weather" widget*? i don't see it
  8. #8  
    rugmankc's Avatar

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

    Default Re: GPS Constantly Searching and Lagging out S4 since KitKat 4.4.2 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina Rogel View Post
    how do i delete Transparent Clock & Weather" widget*? i don't see it
    It is an app you would have had to install from Play Store.
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; Nexus One-Rooted, HTC One S rooted, Samsung Galaxy S4 rooted; Carrier AT&T--
  9. #9  

    Default Re: GPS Constantly Searching and Lagging out S4 since KitKat 4.4.2 Update

    Rebooting an old thread again but I have been noticing this over the last few days. I don't have the Transparent Clock app. I used "Weather & Clock Widget" that I uninstalled and GPS it was still searching. I also disabled the stock weather widget since it was high battery usage, but i'm not running it. My location reporting is all set to off. All the apps that were under my "recent location requests" have been disabled or uninstalled. Specifically Coupons, Croupon, Foursquare, Ibotta, Facebook, PayPal and Swarm.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    959 Global Posts

    Default Re: GPS Constantly Searching and Lagging out S4 since KitKat 4.4.2 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by SimplySweetness View Post
    Rebooting an old thread again but I have been noticing this over the last few days. I don't have the Transparent Clock app. I used "Weather & Clock Widget" that I uninstalled and GPS it was still searching. I also disabled the stock weather widget since it was high battery usage, but i'm not running it. My location reporting is all set to off. All the apps that were under my "recent location requests" have been disabled or uninstalled. Specifically Coupons, Croupon, Foursquare, Ibotta, Facebook, PayPal and Swarm.
    Is it searching to the point of Lagging out your phone? Or are you just seeing it flashing from time to time in the top left of your screen?
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  11. #11  

    Default Re: GPS Constantly Searching and Lagging out S4 since KitKat 4.4.2 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    Is it searching to the point of Lagging out your phone? Or are you just seeing it flashing from time to time in the top left of your screen?
    Oh no, it was absolutely lagging my phone and killing battery. It was running for a good hour straight before I factory reset my phone.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    959 Global Posts

    Default Re: GPS Constantly Searching and Lagging out S4 since KitKat 4.4.2 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by SimplySweetness View Post
    Oh no, it was absolutely lagging my phone and killing battery. It was running for a good hour straight before I factory reset my phone.
    All is good now after the factory reset? It had to be a 3rd party app, something that uses GPS for location. Have you re installed all your apps since your factory reset and is all still good?
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  13. #13  

    Default Re: GPS Constantly Searching and Lagging out S4 since KitKat 4.4.2 Update

    I experienced the exact same thing...GPS constantly hunting. I pulled down the notification bar and tapped on the GPS Locating line while it was visable. It took me to a screen that showed 2 apps that were using location services. 1 was Google play services, and 1 was Touch Tunes ( a mobile Juke box controller app), I stopped Google play services, and the GPS icon stayed in the notification area, so I restarted it and stopped the Touch Tunes app and the GPS icon disappeared. It's been 2 days now and I haven't seen the GPS icon back except the normal launching of facebook or weather channel app. By the way, I use the transparent clock/weather widget, but I don't have the option selected to 'follow me'. Hope this solves your issue.

Similar Threads

  1. Verizon Galaxy Note 2 Wifi Totally Unstable After Update
    By FSchmitthammer in forum Verizon Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-29-2014, 04:31 PM
  2. Samsung galaxy Note 3 issues after kitkat 4.4.2 update in India
    By Rakesh Singh4 in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-15-2014, 06:53 PM
  3. Verizon Galaxy S3: Lost 4G after installing KitKat ROM
    By truthfamilyfaith in forum Verizon Galaxy S3 Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-28-2014, 07:50 PM
  4. Mountain time zone issue since DST?
    By depechemodegurl in forum Sprint LG G2
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2014, 04:47 PM
  5. HTC One: Trouble updating Android on unlocked phone
    By jasonz9238 in forum HTC One M7
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2014, 10:04 PM

Posting Permissions