Samsung Galaxy s4 won't turn on

dNiceOne

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
My s4 won't turn on now.. When I woke up yesterday, i'm pretty sure it was working. But it always shows this update thing. and then i sat on my phone I think it pressed the Install button to install the update . when i saw it updating, i tried to turn my phone off because i'm scared it might delete my pictures and videos and some notes. so I took the battery out and put it back in it was still installing.. i took the battery out several times and then it stopped installing the update. the problem now is that it won't turn on. it's just stuck on that "Samsung Galaxy S4" opening-remark thing. what should I do? it's not even a year old yet.. Please reply !

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
My s4 won't turn on now.. When I woke up yesterday, i'm pretty sure it was working. But it always shows this update thing. and then i sat on my phone I think it pressed the Install button to install the update . when i saw it updating, i tried to turn my phone off because i'm scared it might delete my pictures and videos and some notes. so I took the battery out and put it back in it was still installing.. i took the battery out several times and then it stopped installing the update. the problem now is that it won't turn on. it's just stuck on that "Samsung Galaxy S4" opening-remark thing. what should I do? it's not even a year old yet.. Please reply !

Well you did EXACTLY what the update tells you NOT to do while updating. You turned off the device. HUGE No No!
For the record the update wouldn't have deleted your pics, videos, or notes. But now that decided to turn it off during an update. Your only choice is to Factory Reset, which now WILL
leave you with everything gone. UNLESS you were smart enough to have it all on a MicroSD card. If it's on your device memory it's gone. Here are the steps

Turn off the device.
Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time:
Volume Up key
Home key
Power key
When the phone vibrates, let go of the Power key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key and theHome key.
When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
Press the Volume Down key to highlight ‘wipe cache partition.’
Press the Power key to select. The phone will automatically restart after the cache is wiped.

JaniceR

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Thank you to the 2nd poster to this thread (mhinc) for the 3-button push and hold advice. It worked. My relatively new Samsung Galaxy S4 just suddenly stopped working for no reason today and was unresponsive. Your fix worked. A million internets to you, good sir. This was the first result in Google for "samsung galaxy s4 wont start up."

Julio Aldana

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi I am having he same problem but it would not work i try the hard reset and it will just shutting off and io dont know what else to do..... :(

Is there any way teh software can be install to the phone from a PC?

Julio Aldana

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi I am having he same problem but it would not work i try the hard reset and it will just shutting off and io dont know what else to do..... :(

Is there any way teh software can be install to the phone from a PC?

Susan Mary

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I just got my S4 last week. It was recharged fully when I went to work. I received a call in the afternoon and it was working. Came home and went to use it and it had turned off and won't turn on. Tried your factory reset instructions above-to no avail. Guess I should take it back?

ckkhoo

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem. It wouldn't turn on, safe mode method doesn't work. I found out the power button is broken. Here's the video on how to troubleshoot the button and replacing it. youtube.com/watch?v=2l_6fwzuIwA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2