My samsung s4 won't turn on? What should I do?

Ivona Tabak

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I know there already exists a similar thread, but pressing all the buttons at once doesn't seem to help.
The thing is, I've been delaying an OS update. One day it turned off due to lack of battery, I've put it on charger
and turned it again, and it said I should do the update or else my software is at risk, so I did it.
I left it to to the update and charge, but at some point I needed the socket for my fan so I only left the phone to update now.
At one point it noticed it turned off which I know it should do, but I forgot to put it in the socket again to charge, and I didn't
know it would need that much electricity. It continued with the update, and so it did 24 hours later. :/ I decided to turn it off
hoping something will happen, but it couldn't, so I pulled the battery out. No there's no way to turn it on.
Can someone please help, cause I got it like 2 weeks ago, and also moved far away from where I got it... Help, please!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sorry, but it's not entirely clear to me what happened with the update. Did it successfully complete? Or is it possible the phone shut off in the middle of the update due to low battery? It's never good for a device to run out of battery in the middle of a system update, because if it shuts off before the update is complete, it could render the phone unusable. Updates take a significant amount of power, which is why they always recommend that you leave the phone plugged in, or make sure you're at full battery charge before commencing the update.

From what you describe, it sounds like your phone ran out of battery, then you plugged it in to charge, turned the phone back on soon afterwards, and decided to start the update. At that point, I would guess your battery was at around 5-10% at best. Now if you commenced the update, the battery might not have been charging up that fast, since the device was busy trying to install the update. If you then unplugged the phone while it was still trying to update, the battery might have drained back down to zero again, thus causing the phone to shut off in the middle of the update. Does that sound right?

In any case, if the phone is only 2 weeks old, it should still be under Samsung warranty. You don't have to take it back to your original store--either contact your wireless carrier or your nearest Samsung service center, and ask about a replacement.