Android Auto (battery)

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Let me start off with mentioning that I use Google Maps every day in my car with the phone mounted on the side window where the ac vent can get to it. Obviously it uses some battery with the screen being on and in use for that 30min but that's expected.

Now, we just picked up a new car that has Android Auto on it. I noticed that it was ZAPPING my battery despite my screen being off and the phone was even on a wireless charger. Is that normal for Android Auto? Like it was draining while charging and getting super hot in the process. If that's normal for Android Auto that seems like a HUGE disadvantage to using it...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That definitely shouldn't be happening. Is everything up to date? Make sure your Google Play system update is also current (in Settings>Security & Privacy>Updates​).

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That definitely shouldn't be happening. Is everything up to date? Make sure your Google Play system update is also current (in Settings>Security & Privacy>Updates​).
Everything on my phone is up to date. Both Android Auto and Google Play.

Edit: Haven't done the Feb OS update. Let my try that.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Does it do this while plugged in? I have found when using Android Auto in wireless mode the phone gets hot and the battery drains quicker than when it is plugged in.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
My Samsung does not get hot when using AA wireless or USB-C, but if wireless I can certainly notice battery drain more than just normal phone use, and that makes sense to me since google maps and location seems to essentially always be running in the background when using AA.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
This happened while connected wireless and charging on a built in wireless charger.

Vehicle is a '23 Subaru Ascent if it makes any difference. I've only driven the car the one time since it's my wife's. For now we're just disabling AA from connecting bc we don't "need" it but it would really be a nice feature to take advantage of. I love having the maps, messages and music up on the head unit but not if it's roasting my phone battery in the process.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This happened while connected wireless and charging on a built in wireless charger.

Vehicle is a '23 Subaru Ascent if it makes any difference. I've only driven the car the one time since it's my wife's. For now we're just disabling AA from connecting bc we don't "need" it but it would really be a nice feature to take advantage of. I love having the maps, messages and music up on the head unit but not if it's roasting my phone battery in the process.

But does the drain happen wireless AA or wired AA what you mentioned sounds like your charging the phone

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
So, when it happened before, I was completely wireless. Wireless connection for AA while also charging wirelessly. (Which I think might have been the problem.)

This evening I made a run, connected wireless to AA but NOT on the wireless pad for charging. Just sitting on a little dash shelf. It didn't seem to have near as much drain and didn't heat my phone up. I also changed the main screen to YouTube music so the nav window didn't show. Not sure if that made a difference but I figured if the nav wasn't showing on the screen then maybe the phone wouldn't be working as hard. Return trip I left my phone in my pocket with wireless AA connection and same thing as the drive out. Some drain but not the drastic drain I saw from the other night.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah both wirelessly can cause battery draining, try leaving charging alone when AA

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I used AA to listen to music (and display of maps also for lots of the time) for a recent road trip that lasted about 6hrs including stops and such. Also, some misc use before starting the 6hrs, including some running around and about 1hr using AA beforehand. Overall, about 7hrs using AA for the day.

I think the battery drain was way faster than previously. It was at 100 percent at start of the day around 7am and it got down to about 10 percent by 6pm before I finally decided I better plug it in.

The phone was a bit warm, but I suspect placement near my vent contributed to most of that warmth (not sure).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I used AA to listen to music (and display of maps also for lots of the time) for a recent road trip that lasted about 6hrs including stops and such. Also, some misc use before starting the 6hrs, including some running around and about 1hr using AA beforehand. Overall, about 7hrs using AA for the day.

I think the battery drain was way faster than previously. It was at 100 percent at start of the day around 7am and it got down to about 10 percent by 6pm before I finally decided I better plug it in.

The phone was a bit warm, but I suspect placement near my vent contributed to most of that warmth (not sure).
AA 9.0 supposed to be out can get the APK

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I have found if you use AA wirelessly the phone gets hot and the battery drains way quicker. If I have a long trip I plug it in.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Probably a good strategy, although in theory I think the difference between wired and wireless AA is simply just data/traffic sent and received to the head unit via wifi vs via USB. In theory, I'd not think it would make a big battery difference (if one also removes the fact that the bettery is simultaneously being charged when USB AA connected) or all our phones would also be going dead when we are sitting in our homes on the couch on wifi, no?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
When we are sitting on the couch using wifi it is not a constant stream of data like using maps. You click on a website and it loads and you read. When you are in the car using AA wirelessly there is a constant back and forth stream of information. I think using a cord relieves some of the pressure and yes, also provides some charging benefits. I do not have native wireless AA in my car so I use a dongle. That may also have something to do with it.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I wonder how much of the difference for battery drain (for wireless AA) is about the WiFi connection or just the fact that Navigation/GPS is also fully up?