Sprint Galaxy S8 Battery problems are 80% GPS (the rest is mostly Facebook)

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
I swear the battery on this phone would last 3 days if apps didn't keep turning on the GPS when you're not looking. I'll go out for lunch with the phone at 83% (after being on for 6 hours). Just walking around outside and using the phone seems to cause apps to start turning GPS on. If I don't turn off location and restart the phone when I get back at the office it will be at 60% by 3pm (after 2 hours) because the GPS is running in the building. Once an app turns it on, it stays on. Google keeps doing this, among other things. I want the GPS on when I'm using the app but when I leave I want the location to go back off again. Is there any way to make the GPS turn off automatically after the phone is locked? The other battery leech is Facebook, and logging out of that when not in use seems to help.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Social apps constantly want to know where you are is you allow them to. That's what it sounds like, Facebook being one of the worst. My phone does not turn on location unless I open an app like Maps, but it's turned off as soon as I exit that app.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
... still waiting for my S8+ to arrive. Can only think of switching on airplane mode to force phone to not use gps.
... can say that Huawei Mate 9 does not suffer from this and "sips" battery. Even over night, uses just 2%.

I ditched FB , too much if resource hog plus fake ads.

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
Social apps constantly want to know where you are is you allow them to. That's what it sounds like, Facebook being one of the worst. My phone does not turn on location unless I open an app like Maps, but it's turned off as soon as I exit that app.

I use a lot of apps that need location. Like the car sharing app, transit app, and obviously maps. Most other location apps I use less frequently, like Yelp.

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
... still waiting for my S8+ to arrive. Can only think of switching on airplane mode to force phone to not use gps.
... can say that Huawei Mate 9 does not suffer from this and "sips" battery. Even over night, uses just 2%.

I ditched FB , too much if resource hog plus fake ads.

Mine sipped for the first 2 months but after the 3rd month it's started hogging. I hate to do a reset because it practically takes an afternoon to reconfigure the phone. I'm wondering if the late August update had something to do with it (in which case all the work of a reset will just put me back where I was).

Last edited: