Blocking provider controlled SMS to MMS conversion on Nougat?

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
My cell provider recently put in some weird force configuration nastiness which forces newer devices. When I typed a really long SMS to my girlfriend, I ignored the subtle warning that it would be converted to MMS. Next thing I know, I ended up with extra charges on my phone bill. Is there an app or something that can split long SMS message into 160 character regular messages and send them separately without letting my provider know what I am doing (I do not want my phone to get blacklisted by IMEI).

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I think there’s an option for that, in your text messaging app. So that it splits your message into multiple ones, instead of a unique MMS.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
What would the option be called? I am running Nougat 7.0 on my brand new CAT S41. Also, will changed settings get reverted to what the provider wants considering that the provider is doing all it can by force to get more cash ever since some of their business shenenigans were exposed a few years ago, leading to decreasing profits?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The exact wording of the settings will depend on which SMS app you are using.
In Textra, the two settings to look at are
Textra > settings > SMS
"split long SMS messages"
"convert long SMS to MMS"

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
If the app you are using does not give you the control over how long SMS messages are handled, then you will need a different SMS app that does give you the control you need.