Cannot exit Samsung S8+ Maintenance Boot Mode

mergsTM

Dec 7, 2022
Visit site
My S8+ was accidentally put into Maintenance Boot Mode which happens when you press down volume + power for 12 secs. This is the screen that has 4 options, Normal, Factory Reset, Safe, Power Down. It says use the volume to select and "lower left" to select.

https://ss7.vzw.com/is/image/verizondsc/maintenance_boot_mode_normal_boot-1

I can move the selection using the up and down arrows but the lower left doesn't seem to be working. I press it and it does nothing.

So the phone is stuck at this screen with no way out.

At this point, I'm going to just let the phone power down on its own when the battery dies.

But I'm sure open to ideas here.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Usually, it's the Power button that selects the option. Does that do anything?

mergsTM

Dec 7, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Can u post a screenshot of this page?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=413366

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using AC Forums mobile app

Screenshot of maintenance boot mode

Holding the power button restarts the phone but it reboots right back into the maintenance boot mode screen.

Welcome to Android Central! Usually, it's the Power button that selects the option. Does that do anything?

Unfortunately no, the power button doesn't select. For this S8+ phone its not the power button that selects the option, but rather a button on the left side below the up and down arrows, aka the Bixby button. Its not working. It feels dead, like its pressed in and stuck and it doesn't select an option in that screen.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try swabbing the Bixby button with generous amounts of rubbing alcohol, in case there's some residue in there that's preventing it from being pressed.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Screenshot of maintenance boot mode

Holding the power button restarts the phone but it reboots right back into the maintenance boot mode screen.

Unfortunately no, the power button doesn't select. For this S8+ phone its not the power button that selects the option, but rather a button on the left side below the up and down arrows, aka the Bixby button. Its not working. It feels dead, like its pressed in and stuck and it doesn't select an option in that screen.
Welcome to AC!

So using the volume button to highlight restart then power button to choose does nothing?

Try holding power button for 30 seconds if it turns off restart

mergsTM

Dec 7, 2022
Visit site
Well, a solution of sorts, has been found: I just left the phone with the boot screen on overnight and that drained the battery and powered off the phone.

After charging up to ~10% and its booted and working. Somehow the adaptive reader is on so its talking to me incessantly but that's another matter which I will address once its charged up fully. I will also see if the bixby button can be revived with some alcohol swabbing.

Thanks for all the input.

mergsTM

Dec 7, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to AC!

So using the volume button to highlight restart then power button to choose does nothing?

Try holding power button for 30 seconds if it turns off restart

> then power button to choose does nothing?

Volume button does move the selection but the power button does not select. For the S8+ the maint boot screen specifically says to use the lower left button (aka bixby) to select. Ref. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...support/knowledge-base-211217/&token=KykS8bHY

>>Try holding power button for 30 seconds

Holding power down reboots back into the same screen after about 12 secs.

mergsTM

Dec 7, 2022
Visit site
Ok but its back up and running?

Yes, it sure is. Battery ran out on its own after about 12 hours and I just powered it back up and back to normal.

I also tried to clean the "Bixby button" but its dead so I have to be careful about pressing down the buttons that get it into Maintenance Boot mode because it will be stuck again.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, it sure is. Battery ran out on its own after about 12 hours and I just powered it back up and back to normal.

I also tried to clean the "Bixby button" but its dead so I have to be careful about pressing down the buttons that get it into Maintenance Boot mode because it will be stuck again.
Ok great