Question Charging Troubles

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I'm having a very odd charging situation with my phone. I've tried it with four different cords and only one will charge it, yet when I use the other three cords to charge ANYTHING else, they all work perfectly. They are ONLY rejecting my phone, so they're not just bad cords/adapters/outlets. Now I'm down to only one cord I can use and my emergency power bank cord is nonfunctional. If anyone can help me with this that would be much appreciated, thank you. I forget the model name of my phone but it's a 2018 model purchased in 2020 (yes I know it's old but up until now it's functioned perfectly, is this just an age thing? ugh.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You can find the phone model in Settings>About Phone. Knowing the brand and model number might be important. Is this from a well-known manufacturer, or is it an off-brand or no-name Chinese device?

Are you using a microUSB cable or USB-C? Does the cable feel loose in the phone's port?

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You can find the phone model in Settings>About Phone. Knowing the brand and model number might be important. Is this from a well-known manufacturer, or is it an off-brand or no-name Chinese device?

Are you using a microUSB cable or USB-C? Does the cable feel loose in the phone's port?
The model number is "LML212VL". It's from the Tracfone store. It takes a micro USB, and all the cables feel roughly the same when plugging them in.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Make sure the USB port is clear of any debris. Use a can of compressed air to blow it out, and a dry toothbrush to scrub it out (or you could also dip the toothbrush in rubbing alcohol to clean the USB port's pins as well).

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Micro-USB is notoriously finicky in my experience. It may very well be that the cables are getting bad. Maybe not enough to affect other things, but bad enough for the phone. The little spelling tabs on the phone end are bad about getting worn out with frequent use, which are supposed to be what maintains a secure connection.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Anything I can do that involves things which are accessible to obtain?
Cans of compressed air (aka dusters) are cheap to buy at your local office supply or computer store, like Staples. Rubbing alcohol is also cheap, available at your local drugstore, or stores like Target or Walmart (which probably also carry cans of compressed air).

Reactions: rvbfan
Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Cans of compressed air (aka dusters) are cheap to buy at your local office supply or computer store, like Staples. Rubbing alcohol is also cheap, available at your local drugstore, or stores like Target or Walmart (which probably also carry cans of compressed air).
You've severely overestimated my ability to get to places. Never mind anyway, my usual cable randomly started working again this morning.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174