Clock on top left is frozen and when I swipe down my phone freezes

Cherryfrost

Jul 25, 2022
Visit site
I checked my time and it said 3:27, a few minutes later I check it again and it still says 3:27. When I swipe down from the top of the screen to open the notifs/tool bar it doesnt do anything and my phone freezes until I press one of the buttons at the bottom of my screen. I tried turning my phone off but then it stayed frozen as a black screen and hardly turned on when I pressed the power button. Holding it down to try and reset my device did nothing, since the screen wouldn't respond. I was finally able to get back in by somehow opening my camera, taking a picture, then clicking on it and swiping to the next one, obviously it says I can't view it unless I unlock my device. And it finally unfreezes enough to let me slowly type in my PIN. Once I finally got in it took a few minutes to unfreeze, and I was too afraid to turn it off again. The time is still frozen at 3:27 and the bar isn't working. I uninstalled a few apps and cleared my tabs but its still slow. I went to settings and it said the right time, I always have my time on the automatic setting and I turned that off and on but it didn't change anything, I turned the 24 hour format on and off and that still didn't change anything. My phone needs an update and I don't know if thats the problem, but nothing like this has ever happened before. I'm afraid if it might be some kind of virus, since one time I was using my phone it was really warm, I assumed it was just overheated from being under a blanket but I saw that it could be a sign of a virus, also sometimes some of my apps will stop working or freeze or crash, but I also assumed it was just from low battery or too much for my phone to render. And I keep getting messages about charges being added to my phone bill. Apparently they're all signs of a virus or malware. I know not to go on suspicious websites or click links and all the apps I have are ones that I've installed before so I don't know how this could've happened. And why its only affecting my tool/notification bar. I use a Samsung/Android.

Edit: I reset my phone and the clock was fixed, everything is working fine now. Thank you to everyone who answered!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which Samsung phone? This kind of thing is almost never a virus. It could be due to some app you installed that's causing system instability, or firmware corruption, or hardware failure. If the phone is pretty old, the latter two options become a lot more likely.

Cherryfrost

Jul 25, 2022
Visit site
This is the same person that posted, I couldn't figure out how to edit it so I made an account. I reset my phone and everything is working fine now. Thank you to everyone who answered!😊