Disable Nexus 4 Cell Phone without removing SIM

DonFromRoch

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 4 with a limited calls & data plan. I will be leaving the country and it will cost big bucks if I receive any calls. So I will use WiFi. I would like to disable the cell phone without removing the SIM and still use WiFi. So "airplane mode" is not suitable. I know I can go into Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks and uncheck "Enable data access over Mobile network." But is there a way to turn off the cell phone completely?

CFri

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
You can put it in airlpane mode then turn wifi on again. It works very well. You can also use GPS while in airplane mode.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Hmm...on my LTE gnex as far as I remember it was settings<more<system select<home only (vs automatic). Can't find it on my N4. That's whack.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You can put it in airlpane mode then turn wifi on again. It works very well. You can also use GPS while in airplane mode.

Confirmed this works. Thanks. Also, OP are you on T-Mobile prepaid? I am and was thinking perhaps that's why I don't see a "home only" option since roaming etc isn't available on prepaid.
uploadfromtaptalk1362677686871.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Hmm...on my LTE gnex as far as I remember it was settings<more<system select<home only (vs automatic). Can't find it on my N4. That's whack.

I believe that's a CDMA thing, so HSPA & GSM phones don't have it.
That's the case with my Canadian carrier at least.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yea, as has been said you can turn wifi on and off when the device is in airplane mode. I've done this many times with many phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TechBro