Do permissions reset regularly?

Andrew Brehm

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I have two OnePlus phones running Android 11 and 12 respectively. On both I experience this issue.

When I take away permission to write over other apps on the display from the phone app, the phone cannot, for a while, display a conversation "bubble" (or whaever you call it) on the screen. But Android seems to "forget" this permission configuration after a while and the phone app starts doing it again.

Likewise, I keep taking away Microsoft's "Link to Windows" app's notifications permission, but it seems to regain it regularly.

Also, something, I presume "Link to Windows" keep switching on WLAN on my phones.

Any ideas how to make Android's permissions permanently valid? What good are permissions if apps can reset them at (their) will?

Andrew Brehm

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Does this happen right after the app updates? Maybe that's why those settings are reverting to their default.

Possibly. I am not sure when apps update. I didn't consider this possibility since it doesn't make sense to me that the system would reset permissions when updating an app. Permissions are not "settings", I thought. What good are permissions if they reset automatically?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Technically, displaying over other apps is a "special app access" option, not a permission that falls under the permission manager. But you're right, they should remember your choice. I don't see this happening on my Pixel 7 Pro (but I don't use Link to Windows).

How long does it take for those settings to revert? If it's usually not too long, try booting into Safe Mode and see if it still happens. That could help determine if the problem is due to the OnePlus firmware vs some 3rd party app that is somehow causing it. https://www.hardreset.info/devices/oneplus/oneplus-9-pro/safe-mode/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickness54