Does anyone think Google will prevent rooting and unlocking the bootloader in the future?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
When the Nexus line started, it was marketed toward developers in order to test and troubleshoot applications and determine how they would run with the latest Android builds and Google APIs.

One could argue that, as the brand matured, they also began marketing toward average consumers--with the Nexus 6, 5X, and 6P. However, I am sure they also realized that developers and enthusiasts were still a very important and vocal group that helped publicize the Nexus line.

It made sense that Google would design a phone that could easily be bootloader unlocked and also rooted, since software developers and enthusiasts would actively utilize those features with app testing and also to potentially further the development of Android.

However, with the Pixel phones, Google is clearly targeting average consumers and many have theorized that Google wants to be like Apple, having total control over the software, hardware, and total user experience. Even Jerry Hildenbrand remarked, in the latest AC Podcast
that the Pixel felt like an Iphone running Android ( I apologize if those weren't his exact words.)

If the Pixel is Google's attempt to be more like Apple, does anyone think that future Pixel phones may not be as developer friendly?

Apple has always seemed vehemently opposed to those that want to jailbreak their Iphone, run 3rd-Party software, and non-IOS apps. I am sure part of this is related to security and patching vulnerabilities. However, I also get the sense that Apple likes to maintain control because, in their mind, they know best.

Google, on the other hand, seems perfectly willing to allow users to modify their phone and, as result, the way they experience Android. They'll openly post firmware updates and instructions on how to restore your device if you happen to have second thoughts.
Even though the Pixel is NOT a Nexus device, it seems that Google is still catering to those that want to openly modify their phone.

Does anyone think this will change as Google becomes more and more focused on the average consumer and potentially becoming more like Apple.

Andrew Martonik was discussing Google's record-setting profits in the lastest AC podcast. Of course, everyone knows that Google gets a lot of revenue from online ads and that mobile ads are becoming more and more important to Google's future revenue growth.

What would happen if the Pixel line made rooting more accessible to the average consumer and everyone started blocking those online ads? Wouldn't it be in Google's best interest to lock the system down if one of their primary sources of revenue was put in jeopardy.

As an aside, my experience with Apple devices is extremely limited, but I've never heard of Apple openly posting system images and allowing software developers to easily unlock their bootloaders. Yet, many people are still successful at developing IOS apps and generating revenue.

Android is now the most used mobile operating system in the world. If Google encrypted the Pixel's bootloader and actively made modding difficult, I would be disappointed, but I'm sure they know that app development would still continue, even if developers and enthusiasts strongly protested.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if they will, but some apps will definitely won't work. They just recently said that Android pay won't work if your bootloader is unlocked. I believe before that, it already won't work with a rooted phone.

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
When the Nexus line started, it was marketed toward developers in order to test and troubleshoot applications and determine how they would run with the latest Android builds and Google APIs.

One could argue that, as the brand matured, they also began marketing toward average consumers--with the Nexus 6, 5X, and 6P. However, I am sure they also realized that developers and enthusiasts were still a very important and vocal group that helped publicize the Nexus line.

It made sense that Google would design a phone that could easily be bootloader unlocked and also rooted, since software developers and enthusiasts would actively utilize those features with app testing and also to potentially further the development of Android.

However, with the Pixel phones, Google is clearly targeting average consumers and many have theorized that Google wants to be like Apple, having total control over the software, hardware, and total user experience. Even Jerry Hildenbrand remarked, in the latest AC Podcast
that the Pixel felt like an Iphone running Android ( I apologize if those weren't his exact words.)

If the Pixel is Google's attempt to be more like Apple, does anyone think that future Pixel phones may not be as developer friendly?

Apple has always seemed vehemently opposed to those that want to jailbreak their Iphone, run 3rd-Party software, and non-IOS apps. I am sure part of this is related to security and patching vulnerabilities. However, I also get the sense that Apple likes to maintain control because, in their mind, they know best.

Google, on the other hand, seems perfectly willing to allow users to modify their phone and, as result, the way they experience Android. They'll openly post firmware updates and instructions on how to restore your device if you happen to have second thoughts.
Even though the Pixel is NOT a Nexus device, it seems that Google is still catering to those that want to openly modify their phone.

Does anyone think this will change as Google becomes more and more focused on the average consumer and potentially becoming more like Apple.

Andrew Martonik was discussing Google's record-setting profits in the lastest AC podcast. Of course, everyone knows that Google gets a lot of revenue from online ads and that mobile ads are becoming more and more important to Google's future revenue growth.

What would happen if the Pixel line made rooting more accessible to the average consumer and everyone started blocking those online ads? Wouldn't it be in Google's best interest to lock the system down if one of their primary sources of revenue was put in jeopardy.

As an aside, my experience with Apple devices is extremely limited, but I've never heard of Apple openly posting system images and allowing software developers to easily unlock their bootloaders. Yet, many people are still successful at developing IOS apps and generating revenue.

Android is now the most used mobile operating system in the world. If Google encrypted the Pixel's bootloader and actively made modding difficult, I would be disappointed, but I'm sure they know that app development would still continue, even if developers and enthusiasts strongly protested.

Simple answer is No.

But for safety purposes, they will locking down certain functionality after you had root your phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d