Exynos-powered Galaxy S22 Ultra performs significantly worse than Qualcomm variant

billyjoebob007

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Samsung was quite adamant that its Exynos 2200 premium mobile platform, based on AMD’s RDNA 2 architecture, will provide the finest experience for smartphone users. However, a reviewer based in Europe has found Samsung’s SoC to be noticeably worse in terms of GPU performance, at least when it comes to benchmarks.

Traditionally, the Exynos vs. Qualcomm debate has always concluded in favor of the latter, as phones, including Samsung’s flagship Galaxy models, have been known to provide superior performance if they’re running a Snapdragon chip inside.

It seemed, however, that Samsung’s new flagship Exynos 2200 SoC announced earlier this year would close that gap, bringing with it unheard features to the mobile space like hardware-accelerated ray tracing and variable rate shading. While we’re yet to see the latter features appear on a mobile game, it looks like Galaxy buyers still need to be aware of which SoC variant they can get their hands on.
More.......

https://www.techspot.com/news/93420...-worse-performance-exynos-powered-galaxy.html

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
To be honest although I find benchmarks interesting they don't typically hold ground to when a person is using the phone in the real world.

I'll take delivery of the Samsung Galaxy s²² Ultra 256gb and can return it within 21 days of I want to.

I'm not expecting to have to.

I purchased the Exynos Samsung Note ²⁰ Ultra from Samsung UK and imported a Samsung Note ²⁰ Ultra SnapDragon version from Samsung Hong Kong and all I could see was the battery lasted a little bit longer.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if the Snapdragon outperforms the Exynos. That's always been the case.

I wouldn't mind if it had less peak performance, but the they typically also have worse battery which is annoying.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Nothing surprising here, looks like alot of these tests are GPU related as we know the RDNA GPU has been clocked down, this may be adjusted in future firmware, who knows!
The Qualcomm and Exynos chipsets are essentially based on the same 4nm process except the Snapdragon has a slightly higher clockspeed and looking at geekbench scores they are not far apart here on single or multi core.

We have a return period if we're not entirely happy with the Exynos International version of S22 Ultra as mentioned above but we'll see how it pans out.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yup, one reviewer said to wait and see how the battery life and exynos tested out and he was called a apple fan boy, leans towards apple. I said he was right then as exynos has always been worse in speed and battery life. If I remember right exynos runs hotter also, but can't remember for sure. People from over seas weren't paying extra to get them from the United States for no reason.

And now we will watch the Samsung fan boys defend the exynos.

Last edited:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Nothing surprising here, looks like alot of these tests are GPU related as we know the RDNA GPU has been clocked down, this may be adjusted in future firmware, who knows!
The Qualcomm and Exynos chipsets are essentially based on the same 4nm process except the Snapdragon has a slightly higher clockspeed and looking at geekbench scores they are not far apart here on single or multi core.

We have a return period if we're not entirely happy with the Exynos International version of S22 Ultra as mentioned above but we'll see how it pans out.

I watched multiple tests, and was surprised how well the Exynos 2200 performed, it's not the fastest thing around, but it's one of the fastest. They've come a long way with that chipset... a little more speed, a little less heat, and a little better battery life and they'll have a contender.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
A number of things have given me doubts about this new Exynos 2200 chipset, not the least of which was Samsung cancelling its launch a month ago and making it the minority variant, mainly for Europe whilst giving its home country of South Korea, the Snapdragon variant after using Exynos for their S21's.

In spite of this, I went ahead and pre-ordered the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 1TB model last week as I normally would.

However, I have continued to have misgivings about the Exynos model and yesterday I cancelled my pre-order in the light of this and other reports and will play the wait and see game before buying.

If it turns out that the Exynos model is equal to the Snapdragon or at least, darn close, I may get it. Alternatively, I can either opt for a grey market Snapdragon model that is suitable for use in the U.K. or wait until the Samsung Fold 4 comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo6QTItKEBQ

(In Turkish but you will get the idea)

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Snapdragon vs. Exynos benchmarks: Graphics testing

6IJ4Nscl.png

"The Exynos 2200 is supposed to be the first mobile chip to support ray tracing in games, but its raw performance in the graphics benchmarks certainly didn't live up to the hype."

"So what can we take away from these Galaxy S22 Plus benchmark results? The first lesson is that the some of us might have gotten a wee bit too excited about the Exynos 2200 in the build-up to the S22 release, specifically about the chipset's GPU"

Source... tom's guide

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Snapdragon vs. Exynos benchmarks: Graphics testing

https://i.imgur.com/6IJ4Nscl.png

"The Exynos 2200 is supposed to be the first mobile chip to support ray tracing in games, but its raw performance in the graphics benchmarks certainly didn't live up to the hype."

"So what can we take away from these Galaxy S22 Plus benchmark results? The first lesson is that the some of us might have gotten a wee bit too excited about the Exynos 2200 in the build-up to the S22 release, specifically about the chipset's GPU"

Source... tom's guide
Well at least the camera has 100x zoom. . Sorry I had to do it.

My daughter ordered one last night. Is this going to be a big issue?