Factory reset

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I realize that I inadvertently posted twice and I'm sorry.
The Samsung galaxy S5 that I'm giving to my wife is running Android 6 now. After I FACTORY reset it, will it reinstall Android 6 or will it install a later version? Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using AC Forums mobile app

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't reinstall anything, it wipes out user data and keeps the current version of software(Android) that's on the phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Looks like Marshmallow was the highest it went. To go higher, you'd have to root the phone and install a custom ROM.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
My wife's phone will quit working at years end. She only wants a phone ONLY to make phone calls and take photos. NOTHING ELSE.
My fully functional Samsung galaxy S5 has been sitting in a drawer for 8 years since I upgraded to a Pixel 6.
I want to FACTORY RESET it, change the SIM to her phone number and the Phone will be hers. Our Carrier is Verizon.
What would be the easiest way to accomplish this.
Your thoughts, advice and recommendations are welcome.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Was that S5 originally bought directly from Verizon? The first thing you need to do is to find out if that phone will even work on Verizon any more -- give their customer support a call.

If it will work on Verizon, then do a factory reset, and then set the phone up with your wife's Google account. Insert her SIM card (assuming it fits), and you should be up and running. If not, contact Verizon and see if the phone has to be reprovisioned.

If she really only wants to make calls and take photos, then you may want to consider just getting her a featurephone/flip phone.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I booted the Samsung and it still works on Verizon. If you have been following this thread, you may remember that my wife is a hard headed technophobic. But I know her and she uses my phone for the Assistant, photos and text messages occasionally. She has mentioned the Jitterbug and I've been trying to get her to go Android with the thought she'll eventually realize the benefits of a real phone.
Her LG 8300 doesn't have a SIM card so I expect that Verizon will be involved to make the change.
We're going to Verizon tomorrow and I'm going to encourage her to look at some of the quality Flip phones because she wants a flip phone but the free phones from Verizon are poorly rated.. We'll see.