Forget 3rd try's the charm...should I go for #4? [Audio speaker and mic quality]

Malathan

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Have had 3 phones and debating on 4th one.

[Phone #1 ] Pixel 2 XL. Returned due to very bad blue tint.
[Phone #2 ] Pixel 2. Decided to try small size, but afterwards also ordered the XL again to compare/decide. Bad audio recording video...high pitch, sounding like mike is underwater. Front speakers are tinny, slightly worse than phone #3 . On sept 5 update. Spoken words sometimes have a lisp, as if speakers are clipping sound (vol at 60%).
[Phone #3 ] Pixel 2 XL. Blue tint is better/acceptable. Bad audio recording in video...high pitch, sounding like mike is underwater. Front speakers are tinny, though not as bad as Phone #2 (due to Nov patch?).

I am at the point of returning Phone 3 as well, not trusting google to fix audio recording or front speaker. Front speaker of 6p and single speaker of Pixel 1 XL are superior sounding that Pixel 2 (based on phones above)

Is everyone experiencing same audio issues on their phones when recording video or simple front speaker playback with clipping and tinny sound?

Google is slowly losing a devoted customer....FAST.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the Pixel 2.
I had the OG Pixel and Pixel XL.
I think the speakers are fine. Haven't really had any issues. Definitely not tinny speakers/sound.
Just played back a video I recorded on Sunday evening. No issues that you describe.

I am sorry you are experiencing so many problems with the Pixel 2 series of devices.
If you decide to stick with Pixel 2/ 2XL, I hope Google can send you a device that doesn't have these problems.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Have had 3 phones and debating on 4th one.

[Phone #1 ] Pixel 2 XL. Returned due to very bad blue tint.
[Phone #2 ] Pixel 2. Decided to try small size, but afterwards also ordered the XL again to compare/decide. Bad audio recording video...high pitch, sounding like mike is underwater. Front speakers are tinny, slightly worse than phone #3 . On sept 5 update. Spoken words sometimes have a lisp, as if speakers are clipping sound (vol at 60%).
[Phone #3 ] Pixel 2 XL. Blue tint is better/acceptable. Bad audio recording in video...high pitch, sounding like mike is underwater. Front speakers are tinny, though not as bad as Phone #2 (due to Nov patch?).

I am at the point of returning Phone 3 as well, not trusting google to fix audio recording or front speaker. Front speaker of 6p and single speaker of Pixel 1 XL are superior sounding that Pixel 2 (based on phones above)

Is everyone experiencing same audio issues on their phones when recording video or simple front speaker playback with clipping and tinny sound?

Google is slowly losing a devoted customer....FAST.

No audio problems here on 2xl

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No issue with mine so far. I watch videos on it every night before bed and haven't noticed anything weird from the speaker.

Malathan

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Well the good news is that #4 is the winner. Large improvement in speakers between the Phone #2 (Pixel 2) and it's replacement. VERY happy I stuck with it and ensured I got a good phone. While I do miss the XL screen size, do not miss the phone size nor the "minor" screen issues in the XL line. What is odd is that I had the 6p prior and the 6p and pixel 2 XL are same size (xl hair smaller), yet in my hands it felt bigger.

In the end, both my wife and I got Pixel 2's and both very happy. Both seem solid and good units. Bad batch or bad luck on prior ones? Or my wife's luck rubbed off on me when she decided to order herself?

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Glad it finally worked out! I was on the fence between the 2 XL and the 2. The bigger battery pushed me to the XL as much as having extra screen real estate.

Both are great options. I broke out my old 1st Gen Moto X a couple of days ago and it was reminding me how nice a compact phone can be.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well the good news is that [URL=https://forums.androidcentral.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=4]#4 [/URL] is the winner. Large improvement in speakers between the Phone #2 (Pixel 2) and it's replacement. VERY happy I stuck with it and ensured I got a good phone. While I do miss the XL screen size, do not miss the phone size nor the "minor" screen issues in the XL line. What is odd is that I had the 6p prior and the 6p and pixel 2 XL are same size (xl hair smaller), yet in my hands it felt bigger.

In the end, both my wife and I got Pixel 2's and both very happy. Both seem solid and good units. Bad batch or bad luck on prior ones? Or my wife's luck rubbed off on me when she decided to order herself?

So glad you and your wife are satisfied with your Pixel 2 devices; and that device #4 is working well for you! I was hoping things would get better for you after three tries!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowbear