Freeing up space on Galaxy S22, Google Photos

fuzzywuzzywazzafuzzy

Nov 17, 2022
Visit site
Just want to confirm before I do this. I'm at 99% full on storage with about 65GB of photos and videos in Google Photos. If I do the "free up space" function within Google Photos, I should be able to still see them all in the app, after having deleted them from the local storage on the device. Can anyone confirm that I won't end up permanently deleting these photos and videos by using the free up space function? Kind of scary......

Reactions: BEaRebel

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I have the same understanding as you do. let us know how it works (maybe back up your photos to your computer or a SSD just to be safe)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're correct -- the Free Up Space feature will only delete photos and videos locally stored on the device that Google Photos knows is already backed up to the cloud.

The main thing to remember is that if you want to delete an individual photo from your device but keep it in the cloud, then don't use the garbage can icon that shows up under the photo when you view it in Google Photos. Instead, tap the 3-dot menu associated with the photo and choose the "Delete from device" option, which will preserve the copy that's in the cloud.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe