Galaxy S9 Plus GPS is glitchy

vinays84

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Just recently, I'm having problems with my GPS on my Galaxy S9+.
The GPS sporadically works (more off that on).
I've tried restarting my phone, turning Location off and on, making sure Improve Accuracy has both features checked, and clearing my Google Maps cache, as suggested in https://techreen.com/how-to-fix-gps-problem-on-the-samsung-galaxy-s9-and-s9-plus/

I'm using Google Fi as my service, and others in my family (on the same plan) are not seeing issues on their phone.

Has anyone experienced this or have suggestions for what I can do to fix the GPS issue?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you mean that your location is frequently inaccurate, or that the GPS radio is actually turning off on its own?

Does this happen only in certain areas (like downtown in a big city, or in certain buildings)?

vinays84

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The latter - the GPS is turning off and on (happens on Google Maps and Waze). I'm noticing this everywhere when I'm driving. As a result, I'll frequently need to use other navigation methods.
I've also tried going to the "secret" menu (phoning *#0*#) and looking at the compass under Sensor. Sometimes it's blue and sometimes it turns red (needs calibration) but will turn blue again if I move the phone in a figure eight.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The latter - the GPS is turning off and on (happens on Google Maps and Waze). I'm noticing this everywhere when I'm driving. As a result, I'll frequently need to use other navigation methods.
I've also tried going to the "secret" menu (phoning *#0*#) and looking at the compass under Sensor. Sometimes it's blue and sometimes it turns red (needs calibration) but will turn blue again if I move the phone in a figure eight.
Have you tried to calibrate the compass in Google maps doing figure 8 ? Try also resetting network in settings>general management>reset>reset network

EnthalpiousKitten

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
Re: GPS issues on Samsung Galaxy S9+

Try using it somewhere out in the open. I don't know where you live, but I know in some countries around government buildings they do have GPS jamming for security reasons (I've experienced the effects of this first hand when travelling and it's extremely annoying).

vinays84

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
It also occurs in Safe Mode. When the compass goes out while driving, the GPS will reactivate if I re-calibrate by moving the phone in a figure 8 but then it fails again within minutes.

vinays84

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
If you test another sim from family or friend to see maybe something going on with sim card ?

Thanks, family is in other states right now but they're not experiencing problems. I went to a store and they suggested a I do a factory restore to see if that solves the issue. I'll post if it helps. Thanks for your advice!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, family is in other states right now but they're not experiencing problems. I went to a store and they suggested a I do a factory restore to see if that solves the issue. I'll post if it helps. Thanks for your advice!
Ok keep us posted

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what's important to you in a phone. Do you want to stay with Samsung or branch out?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I had the phone factory reset by an electronics shop and, unfortunately, the GPS wasn't fixed, which means it's likely an issue with the board.
So looks like I'll need to get a new phone if I want GPS. Any suggestions?

Maybe try reflash the firmware?