Galaxy Tab S - Lost the icon to the standard eMail app

Springwolf

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I have lost the icon to the standard eMail app (the one it came loaded with) on my Galaxy Tab S 10.5". I have the app, I can access the configuration area and create an email account in the app. But the app icon has disappeared completely from the app area, so I have nothing to drag/drop to the screen I want the app to be displayed on.

I've done a lot of searching all over the internet today and I found a good many suggestions for things to check:
- No the app has not been disabled.
- Yes the app shows up in Settings/Applications/Application Manager/All Apps
- Yes I can click on the app in Settings/Applications/Application Manager/All Apps and it shows the app is enabled.
- Yes I can go to Settings/Applications/eMail and my email account is listed as the default.
- Yes I can tap on the account and see all the settings for that account.
- Yes I tried deleting the account and adding it back (how that was to help with the icon I don't know; I was desperate).

I did find a suggested solution I'd like to try, but I don't know how to do it. It was
suggested to find the email.apk and run it. Ok great. Where is it?

I have ES File Explorer and used that to search for the apk. All it tells me is to do a deeper search. Great. How?

Further searching brought up more questions about my tablet.
- No my system is not rooted (at least I don't think it is, I didn't do that, wouldn't know how). It's basically exactly like it was when I initially took it out of the box.
- Yes it's running the latest version, I double checked that 1st thing.
- Android version 6.0.1
- Kernel version 3.4.39-8965996
- Build MMB29k.T800XXU1CPK2
hope all that means something to someone.

As you can tell I'm not a techie in this realm so this is all over my head.
I did some more research and found someone with the problem who was told to first modify the settings for ES Explorer to show hidden files. Ok I did that. Still get nothing, so I still have no idea how to run the email.apk or if that would even fix my problem.

I just want my icon back. I don't know what happened exactly for it to be lost. Actually, I'm blaming it on the cat who walked across the tablet as it was sitting open on the table. The icon was there before she did it, now it's totally gone. So, can anyone help me out with some specific "dumb user" instructions? I'd be ever so grateful.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear -- you're saying you no longer see the Email icon in the App Drawer? Have you checked in the Samsung folder in the App Drawer (if present)? Or have you tried changing the App Drawer's sorting to A-Z?

Springwolf

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Correct. It doesn't show up in the available apps, not even alphabetically. It's as if it's not installed, but it is. Just the Icon is missing.