Google Assistant speech to text: Incorrect hyper-capitalization of words drives me nuts

dwotter

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
Note #1: I spend more time each day correcting the incorrect capitalization of words than any other activity on my Android phone.
I'm starting my third year on this issue and this is my 8th? posting ( all previous ones to the useless Google Assistant Forums) on this issue.
I'm just going to keep posting until I get someone who knows what they're talking about to answer me.
I'm serious here. I spend many many frustrating minutes every day editing those d... ned incorrectly capitalized words from my 20 to 50 text messages per day.

Note #2: for nearly three years now I have sent over a dozen feedbacks on this issue to the Google Assistant feedback.

The speech-to-text function Capitalizes Words that should not be Capitalized. It drives me Nuts. ( the previous two sentences and a few below are an example) I have to Go Back and edit every Single text message, and I average 20 a day. It's a big waste of my time.

I'm a professor for Pete's sake and I can't send messages of such Egregiously Bad composition.

Please fix it. Get an upgraded version of your speech to text.

Please do not answer by telling me to send feedback to Google Assistant. I have done that a dozen times and it's freaking useless.

Don Lotter
Senior lecturer, Biology, California State University Sacramento

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, welcome to ANDROID CENTRAL!

We have Nothing to do with Google, we are a Android community Forum. What device you have ?

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Be aware that this is an independent community forum. We're all regular folks, and the Ambassador staff are all unpaid volunteers.

If you type out one of those words using your keyboard, do you see a suggestion that's capitalized? If so, long-press it and then drag it to Remove. Now try dictating text with that word -- is it still capitalized? If not, then I suspect that for whatever reason, Gboard has saved a lot of words as capitalized over time -- this might happen if you type a word with a capitalized first letter, and then tap the word again in the word suggestion bar. This would make Gboard "remember" that as the way you want the word to appear.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm just going to keep posting until I get someone who knows what they're talking about to answer me.
You're not, actually. Speak to a professor in Computer Science and find out what happens to people who post things like that on forums. (At best, if you annoy enough of us enough, your first post under any name will be the last one you can make under that name [and it will be deleted unanswered].)

And B. Diddy gave you the definitive answer. 1. We have nothing to do with Google or Android, other than to help the people we can help. 2. Check what your keyboard "remembers", and delete words you don't want. "AI" is a misnomer - it would take the entire computing power of a phone to "know" when to capitalize a letter and when not to (beginning of a sentence in most cases). And for those you want capitalized just once ... that takes more computing power. It's a phone, not a desktop running Dragon Naturally Speaking. (And even then, there may be capitalization errors if you sometimes capitalize a word in the middle of a sentence, and sometimes don't.)