Google Data Collection on Android

hashimtmahmood

Jan 8, 2022
Visit site
Hi there, I hope you're well? I'm new to this community so forgive me if I've placed this query in the wrong section.

I hope to soon make the transition from iOS to Android but wanted clarity on a few areas of privacy before making the commitment - I've included some questions below that I couldn't find answers for.

I appreciate that these questions can only really be answered by Google but I lack the technical knowledge about these issues that many others on this forum may be able to shed some light on.

1. Google frequently refers to themselves as "we" with regard to their data collection - does this mean individual Google employees who are capable of viewing the personal data of a user? Or does data collection mostly come from machine input? I ask this as I just want to know a little bit more about what information of mine is accessible to Google employees - there are undoubtedly situations where my data will need to be viewed, such as Google receiving a request from the police, but I'd feel safer using Google products if I knew that it wasn't possible for an employee to view my photos, contacts, emails and so on without justification.

2. Is it possible for Google to collect personal data from within third party applications downloaded to an Android device? Given that all applications are downloaded onto the Android operating system, does Google have a presence in these applications? For example, if I use WhatsApp is it common for Google to collect data about my conversations?

3. Similar to the above, is it possible for a third party app to collect information about another third party app? Can I feel secure knowing that applications (subject to permissions given to them in settings) are closed off from other applications? Random example: could the Instagram app hypothetically track my usage of YouTube? Or does the Android OS not permit such privilege?

4. Does Android collect keystroke data? I personally am not a user of Gboard and may not be when joining Android, but does Google collect all of the information I input into my keyboard at any given moment?

If any of the above are answered 'yes' please could you provide a way of opting out of this, if a way exists?

Apologies for the long message and thank you for your support.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
1. Google frequently refers to themselves as "we" with regard to their data collection - does this mean individual Google employees who are capable of viewing the personal data of a user? Or does data collection mostly come from machine input? I ask this as I just want to know a little bit more about what information of mine is accessible to Google employees - there are undoubtedly situations where my data will need to be viewed, such as Google receiving a request from the police, but I'd feel safer using Google products if I knew that it wasn't possible for an employee to view my photos, contacts, emails and so on without justification.

Can you imagine if individuals sat and looked at everything Google collects on its millions of users? No it is almost exclusively machine driven. Google uses data DNA to analyze pictures and videos sent through its servers as well as on every image or video saved to a Google account. They also monitor correspondence for key words and phrases. These can trigger all kinds of events such as sending a bill due notice to your Google Calendar. Nothing can be done about DNA or Keyword monitoring it is part of the service agreement for having and using Google products.

2. Is it possible for Google to collect personal data from within third party applications downloaded to an Android device? Given that all applications are downloaded onto the Android operating system, does Google have a presence in these applications? For example, if I use WhatsApp is it common for Google to collect data about my conversations?

Yes and No. Does Google collect data through third party apps? Yes. This is why and how if you search for, blue show ponies, you see ads for show ponies everywhere, even if the search was within a shopping app and not "traditionally online" in a web search. Any app that is downloaded from the Google Play Store has a possibility of being one that shares information with Google. Will they have access to the details of your correspondence? Not very likely. Apps like WhatsApp would not be nearly as popular if all of one's messages could be recorded and held. No what they are more likely to do, and do do, is track how often and when you use an app. Google keeps what they call your Activity List. For each registered device it shows what app, process or task was happening when. Apple does this too.
I believe you can opt out of sharing this but not the recording of this. Attempts to opt out usually results in threats that some services will be affected by the incomplete data record. It doesn't know what you were doing in the app but knows that the app was open or active. System functions and carrier apps are included in this list and trust me we see a lot of questions about this because of the poor way these items are named but typically this is all harmless.

3. Similar to the above, is it possible for a third party app to collect information about another third party app? Can I feel secure knowing that applications (subject to permissions given to them in settings) are closed off from other applications? Random example: could the Instagram app hypothetically track my usage of YouTube? Or does the Android OS not permit such privilege?

This is why Android typically doesn't get viruses or have true malware. It is called Sandboxing. Apps typically cannot share information between one another, unless like you mentioned, specific permission is granted. So my restaurant app may ask for access to my Uber app so that I can get delivery but no right out of the box, well freshly downloaded form the Play Store, apps will not have these permissions. That is unless they are already affiliated which would be something one would have to find in the TOS.

4. Does Android collect keystroke data? I personally am not a user of Gboard and may not be when joining Android, but does Google collect all of the information I input into my keyboard at any given moment?

Keystroke collection is something that every keyboard I've downloaded warns you of. Is it possible? Yes. Is it malicious? Not usually. Does Google get this information? Well let's just say that there probably isn't a lot they don't know about happening on there device. Again are they actively monitoring hundreds of millions of users? No. The reason I said "Not usually" earlier is because the app developer could keylog. Google says that it is doing it's due diligence monitoring and testing apps that appear on the Play Store so apps through that source should be presumed to be safe. On the other hand Google is open source meaning there are a lot of places out there from which apps can be obtained that are, well, not as scrutinized. So is it possible, of course it's possible, it just isn't likely to be Google/Android doing the snooping. Of course there are also legitimate reasons for paying attention to what one is typing. This is how new or custom words get added to one's personal dictionary. This is also how predictive text works when you use a phrase over and over.

If any of the above are answered 'yes' please could you provide a way of opting out of this, if a way exists?

A lot of what Google itself collects, monitors and tracks can be controlled from one's Google Control Panel. If you have a Google account you can see this by going to security.google.com and signing in to your Google account.

I'm really surprised you didn't ask about tracking your location history cause yeah, Google knows everywhere your device has been.

Best wishes