Google Maps over BT

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey all

P2, Stock Verizon, fully patched on Pie
2017 Subaru Legacy

Phone connects just fine and I can place/receive calls, SMS... over BT
When I launch Google Maps, I get no voice nav unless I change the car over to BT connection, then I don't get any music

If I'm on the phone and Google Maps is running, the voice nav comes through the speakers along with the call

Today, I was poking around the BT settings on my phone and found a setting called Media... hmmm turned it off and now I get voice nav on my phone, success (or so I thought)

Noticed the car was now displaying phone connected, audio disconnected, call/history transferred, phone dis-connected.... over and over again

When back into BT settings on my phone and the Media option is no longer available

Rebooted the phone, same results

Thoughts?
Rick

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I believe this is as much a vehicle limitation as it is a phone limitation. The maps audio is being sent to the vehicle as "media audio", which the car won't present unless it's set to play the bluetooth audio. When you get a phone call, the car recognizes that's what's happening and switches (it's actually acting as a bluetooth headset for calls) if it's not set to media audio.

There's not a lot that can be changed here, I believe it's working as designed.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
A re-pairing of the phone with the head unit may do it.
I would forget the phone on the head unit and the head unit on the phone and start over.

In the head unit's BT settings, you should have two icon selections next to the phone's name. One is for media and one is for calls. Ensure both are selected.
Same thing with the head unit, in the phone's BT list. Select the gear icon, next to the head unit's name and ensure both are selected there, as well.
One or the other dropped off for some reason. Not only Subaru head units are finicky. The Kenwood, in our '14 Forester will not run Android Auto and I tried three different phones.
It's a brave, new world.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If I'm on the phone and Google Maps is running, the voice nav comes through the speakers along with the call
This sounds normal. If the Google Maps voice, which is slightly diminished when you're on a call, bothers you, simply choose the 'Mute' icon in the Maps interface and then you can complete your call without any annoyance. Just remember to unmute navigation when you finish the call.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
This sounds normal. If the Google Maps voice, which is slightly diminished when you're on a call, bothers you, simply choose the 'Mute' icon in the Maps interface and then you can complete your call without any annoyance. Just remember to unmute navigation when you finish the call.
You can also go into Navigation settings inside Maps settings and uncheck the option to play voice during phone calls.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

You can also go into Navigation settings inside Maps settings and uncheck the option to play voice during phone calls.

I think we're straying from the point of the original post here. The issue isn't that the navigation is playing during a call, the issue is that UNLESS the OP is in a call and is instead listening to the car's radio they are NOT getting the navigation instructions through the car.

If I'm mistaken, let me know. I posted my explanation of my understanding in my first reply.

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
hallux, you are correct that when listening to music I don't get nav directions over the car nor do I get nav directions from my phone. This means I have to watch the screen.

The only way to get nav over the car is to switch my car to BT, and if I want music, I then have to play pandora/amazon music... from my phone

What a pain
Rick

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
hallux, you are correct that when listening to music I don't get nav directions over the car nor do I get nav directions from my phone. This means I have to watch the screen.

The only way to get nav over the car is to switch my car to BT, and if I want music, I then have to play pandora/amazon music... from my phone

What a pain
Rick
That's how my 2015 STi works and probably how any other car works too. I can't imagine there'd be car setups that would allow both BT audio and non bt audio at the same time. Try going to the nav settings and disable "Play voice over Bluetooth". That should play the audio directions through your phone speaker.

I only listen to music off my phone anyways so I'm always on the BT channel. Our radio stations here are garbage so instead of paying for satellite radio I just have Spotify premium and keep offline playlists to listen to in the car.
6f27bc5b78d905dddf8170f3b86b02bb.jpg

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
when listening to music I don't get nav directions over the car nor do I get nav directions from my phone.
As hallux noted earlier this is expected behavior (the part about listening to music and not hearing navigation directions over the car).
If you want to have navigation directions come from your phone while listening to the car music then just turn Bluetooth off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smuglur